Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an old framed picture of a floral arrangement, appears…

Customer Question
I have an old framed...
I have an old framed picture of a floral arrangement, appears to be oil, signature P Cezanne in right lower corner. A typewritten note on the back states that this is from the Durand-Ruel collection, oil on canvas, by Paul Cezanne, 1874, and titled 'A Vase with Flowers'. I have not been able to find this particular image on the internet. If this is oil, I presume that it is a forgery; does it have monetary value due to its age, the note and an attractive golden frame?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/1/2015
Antique Expert: Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Good day, my name is***** am a Certified Antique and Fine Art Appraiser. I have several question for you. How did you acquire the painting? Next is it possible to send images of the painting? Please include one of the front, back and one of the note. Is so you can send them to:***@******.*** attention Tim in appraisals. I look forward to your reply.
I acquired the painting at an estate sale auction. I bought two apparent paintings, the second with an artist name that I do not recognize (Rico).
It will be possible to send pictures; I will have my daughter or someone to help me with this. I hope to send these within a few days to the email address that you mentioned.
Thank you, ***** ***** with the Cezanne painting.
My previous question; images sent to Tim in appraisals by email: I have a picture of a floral arrangement with background, appears to be oil painting to me, with Cezanne name in the corner. The note on the back indicates an oil on canvas painting by Paul
Cezanne, 1874, from the Durand-Ruel collection, titled Vase of Flowers (title is also given in three other languages). I have not been able to find this image on the internet. If this is oil, I presume that it is a forgery. That said, does an attractive oil
painting with a note, Cezanne name and decorative golden frame have any monetary value? I previously responded to a question as to where I acquired the picture. I got it at an estate auction sale. The owner may have collected paintings - I also bought a seascape
picture with a name that I do not recognize (Rico).Attachment: http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/7FIVZiC1/painting_front.jpgAttachment: http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/nty2L5Zd/painting_note.jpgAttachment: http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/VAcXJAgE/painting_sign.jpgAttachment: http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/34LZAqcH/painting_back.jpg
Thank you for sending the photographs. I am trying to determine if it is really a painting or as you said a reproduction. It is challenging to do this by photos, so you will have to be my eyes as we examine the painting. Please look at the surface of the painting closely. Do you see evidence of paint? For example texture, signs of brush strokes? If you run your fingers lightly on the surface what do you feel? Is it smooth or rough? On the back when you look through the paper covering do you see a canvas? Thank you for your patience as we search for clues.
Hi Ken, I just received your photographs of the back of the painting. I do not see any evidence of a canvas. what I do see are the metal tabs used to hold a print in place. I have taken a close look at the images of the front also and the surface does not have the look of a painting. There are little flecks of missing surface in the lower portion of the picture. I believe you have a print of one of the paintings that were in the Paul Durand-Ruel collection rather than one of the originals. As such it has an estimated value range of $400.00 to $500.00 in a retail venue. Thank you for a fun question.
Thank you for your reply. I did consider your previous questions. I can't speak to brushstrokes, but I can detect by touch surface that is not quite smooth. Most notable is the feel of a line consistent with the linear contour of the upper border of the apparent table. This is not really impressive, but is a subtle finding. I actually feel a little more roughness where the flecks are located. Does this, and the lack of the image on the internet affect your assessment?