Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a large acrylic on canvas of a masked jester playing…

Customer Question
I have a large acrylic...
I have a large acrylic on canvas of a masked jester playing a string instrument, signed and numbered, JS 48.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/30/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 3 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send more photos.
A complete image of the back side (do not remove from frame), and a clear in-focus close-up of the initials will be helpful.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Hi ,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
I can provide a possible attribution as to artist and an estimate of value based on comparables. An attribution is not a definitive, just a most likely possible artist to have made your painting.
-or-
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts here.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely
Nora
Hello Nora,Thank you for your honesty and your time. Hmmm, I don't want to ask you to opt out. I'm very curious and really anxious to know if it's even possible to find the artist, therefore I'm torn. I suppose I shall wait. Please post my question to all. Fingers crossed. Thank you so very much.
Hi~
Okay, I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to try to help, but as I have searched all known listed artist signature guides for a match, there is no positive match, sorry. The piece was clearly done by an artist with talent and some formal training, but most likely it is either a work done by a student or perhaps one done in a studio guild situation, where artists are retained to craft art targeted for the decor and home furnishings trade--not fine art.
I can also provide you with an estimate of value, if you wish--just let me know.
With kind regards,
Steve
Greetings Steve,
Thank you for researching.
I believe I may know the name of the artist or at least I have a good guess. The signature is exactly that as listed on his other works of art.
Hi--I can find nothing at all in listed artist guides, sorry...I will opt out in the hopes another may better assist you.
With kind regards,
Steve