Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a oil portrait of a 19th century lady in a very ornate…

Customer Question
I have a oil portrait...
I have a oil portrait of a 19th century lady in a very ornate frame that is signed G Walters, but I can not find any information on the artist. Does his work have any value and where can I find information on him?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/29/2015
Antique Expert: rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello there
My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you in your question today. Thank you or using JustAnswer to solve your question.
There is a G Walter from 9th century that was portrait painter. Could you tell me if the signature of your painting looks like this one:?
http://imgur.com/5zDiWdv
Also, could you tell me the size of the unit?
Thanks
That is the signature and it's (approx) 30x35"
Hello
Thanks for the reply,
George Stanfield Walters RSA, RA.RSW.
1838 - 1924
George Walters - George Stanfield Walters was born in 1838 and died in 1924. He was a prolific exhibitor, and he painted on the Channel coasts as well as landscapes in the Lake District, the Thames and Wales and scenes on the Venetian Lagoon. His work is sometimes on a very large scale and he has a penchant for pinks, russets and sunset.. He was a portrait painter, though it wasn't his specialty.
Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.
The value will be in the range of 6,500-9,000$.
Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!
I do not think that is the same artist since he signed his painting G.S. Walters. The painting at this link, http://www.rubylane.com/item/213082-RLx20DDOil/Portrait-Oil-Painting-Duchess-De-Chartes, is very similar to mine and by the same artist.
Yes sorry, you are correct, let me research the correct name of the artist
Hello
After a lot of research, I was unable to find any information in the artist. I can confirm as that it's not George Stanfield Walters, it was the only artist that could match. However the signature is different, though it's common that an artist has different signatures, we cannot say that the artist is GS Walter or other contemporary G Walters painter.
Sorry I cannot provide more information about the biography, simply the information doesn't exist.