Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Ceri Richards art work and I would like to know how…

Customer Question
I have a Ceri Richards...
I have a Ceri Richards art work and I would like to know how much it costs. It is signed, and dated '65. On the back it has the name of the painting which is "The force that drives the water through the rocks". It also shows that it is 38/50.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2015
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is a print, not a painting. One of the key clues is the notation 38/50, which means that 50 copies were printed and signed, and yours was #38. (I can also tell from the photo that it's a lithograph, but the numbering is an easy way to tell quickly when you see something. Any set of numbers like that, or the notations AP or PP, indicate a print.)

Ceri Geraldus Richards (1903–1971) was a British painter and print-maker. This particular lithograph is from a set of twelve titled "Twelve Lithographs for Six Poems by Dylan Thomas."

In excellent condition, a dealer at a gallery would charge in the range of $1500-$2500 for this print (depending on the gallery and location). At resale at auction, it would be expected to sell in the $400 - $600 range.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Thank you for the information you sent me, it is helpful. I have a couple of follow up questions. (1) doesn't the fact that another one of these is displayed at the Tate museum increase it's value? (2) do you know of any galleries that I can approach to see if they are interested in purchasing this print, or any online sites (auctions or art buyers) where art sells well? I'd appreciate your answer.