Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I'm an archaeologist working in Santa Fe, NM. I've completed

Customer Question

I'm an archaeologist working in Santa Fe, NM. I've completed an archaeological survey of a property that has remnants of a wood burning stove base with NO. 80A on it, another with AV140 on it and a hood from a Majestic cook stove. Could you tell me what manufacturer made the stoves and a possible age range?
Thanks,
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 2 years ago.
Good evening Ron, my name is***** am a Certified Antiques, and Collectibles Appraiser specializing in Fine Art and Decorative Art. The Majestic Stove Company produced stoves from the 1880′s until the 1940′s. While in business they produced approximately two million stoves. The Majestic Stove Company was in the group of the 10 largest in the United Sates prior to World War II. The Majestic Company is still in business making contemporary versions. Were the stoves fitted for gas or were they wood or coal burning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim,
I thought that you could provide more of an answer than that. I got the same information on the Majestic hood from the Majestic web site . What I want to know is if the two wood burning pot belly stoves bases that I found can be identified for age and manufacturer from their model number NO. 80A and AV140.
The manufacturers name should be somewhere on the body. The fact that they are pot belly stoves helps with both age and possible maker. The lower number could indicate an earlier date. I suggest you contact a specialist to give you the information you require. Here is at ling for you to such a group: http://antiquestoves.net/dir/gts-home. In order to release you from this question I will opt-out. Tim
Expert:  Steven-R replied 2 years ago.
I believe your 80A is an Oakland Foundry stove--you should likely, as suggested earlier, post your request in an online forum as they have access to original catalogs in many cases which give item numbers--but to my knowledge, there is no singular source for a listing of all cast iron stoves manufactured and their individual model numbers, sorry...
Also, bear in mind that the presence of debris such as that does not mean the pieces were used on the property as when the fireboxes cracked, or if better heating options were available, they were simply discarded--and most areas used the homesite or an empty field to dump trash, often just tossing things down the privy or digging a shallow hole--but I'm sure you know all of that!
The "Majestic" was one of the most popular wood burning stoves of the early 20th century--it would be interesting to see if you also found slag, indicating coal being used, on the site--that can also help to date the era of actual use of the device.
With kind regards,
Steve
With kind regards,
Steve