Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I am in charge of a lady's estate here in San diego. She

Customer Question
I am in charge of...
I am in charge of a lady's estate here in San diego. She was a head librarian and traveled a great deal. She had some beautiful artwork and I have a last piece to liquidate ---a painting entitled "Forrest of South Tyrol". This painting is in excellent condition both picture and frame 30"x21". It has been restored to condition like new. It has a beautiful hand-carved gold-leaf frame 6" in width. German, signed, Ruser (Ernst.) Listed in Benezit, volume 7, page 436. Born 1869 died 1934. Subject is German pastoral scene. On back it says it is No.925 – Forest at South Tyrol. Framed at R.H. Macy & Co, New York.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/27/2015
Antique Expert: Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert replied 2 years ago
Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Hello. My name is***** and I am a certified appraiser with 25 years in a museum and in the field much it with high quality fine art. I am happy to help. This is a beautiful oil in wonderful condition by Ernst Ruser (1869-1934).
The artist has not sold in great quantity in the last fifteen years so market is a bit open yet Ruser's period of the first quarter of the 20th century in German landscape oil painting is a known market across the World and this fits well within the genre.
The execution is excellent along with the framing. The lush color is enhanced by the full restoration. The markings too are key as this dates it to the period of fine art gallery found within the major department stores in large city centers such as New York - where art was collected and sold to upscale patrons at the time.
Looking across the markets this would have a fair market value (value based on high end auction sales data at venues such as you have suggested in the last few years) in the range of 1***-**-****.00 (USD). However retail the value would of course be much more depending on the venue, private or gallery, in the range of 3700.00 - 3900.00 (USD) currently in 2015.
If you were holding on to this for a bit (which would not be a bad idea as this is a piece that does have investment value and will go up with time as the history and market of Ruser emerges in the coming years) the replacement value for your friend's records would be at the high end of the range (3900.00 USD)respectfully ***** ***** pristine condition and gilt framing.
Best wishes and make sure that your friend takes care of this nice piece!
PS If you have other items of interest please remember my name. Any post addressed to “Kim D” at the head of the question will be sent to my inbox so I can help my return patrons first!
I would be more than happy to work with you again!
Hello - I am just following up to see if you had any questions about your oil painting. My aim is excellent customer service and I am always concerned when I don't hear from my patrons.
What more can I tell you?
If you have no further questions, would you please rate my service at no additional cost to you?
You can always find me, even after the rating as I am always here if you think of something else or have other comments. Yet this is how the site system is triggered to credit me for my work (and pays me – excellent is always appreciated too!)
Thank you in advance!..and again please respond with comments or thoughts after the rating.
Hi I am following up as it isnt clear that the system has sent you the expert response. Thank you for following up with any questions and kindly rating our work together..and again, I am always here after the rating.
All my best, *****