Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a pair of silverplate-capped water buffalo horns that…

Customer Question
I have a pair of...
I have a pair of silverplate-capped water buffalo horns that mount onto GR Collis silverplate and bronze bases the motif of which are mermaids and fish. The marks match for the silverplate works of this smith and the location is marked***** London. Accordingly, the date of production would have been between 1854 and 1888. Can you approximate a value for me? Also, would it be advisable to have the plating restored on these or not?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/27/2015
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to assist you with your decorative piece as crafted by George Richmond Collis & Company. They are indeed silver plate and on today's collector market, in their present condition, the typical retail is around $1,200 on the pair. Generally speaking, you are best advised to NOT have the items replated if your intent is to sell, as most buyers prefer items "as found" and the effect of the refinish could actually diminish the market retail and demand, honestly.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
Can you provide any documentation of your findings? Also, do you recommend any particular website/venue for marketing these?
All of my information comes from either hard printed guides or price databases online, which are subscription based. I can, if you wish, show you what similar G.R. Collis pieces sell for, but honestly you could Google that yourself--just let me know your wishes.
For marketing, I suggest as one venue a new internet sales site based in New York City called "Lofty.com" which targets upscale buyers--and best of all, I understand they will not only market your item for you, but arrange delivery as well upon completion of a sale!
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve