Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Trying to find information about an oil on canvas stil life

Customer Question

Trying to find information about an oil on canvas stil life of fruit. Signature looks like Buroi, dated 1849. On the back it says Ancienne Masion Valle Bellavoine. The rest is hard to make out. The painting needs a lot of restoration, wondering if it has any value? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have photos and responses to your questions but do not know how to send the information. Do you have an e- mail address? I did not save my original e-mail to you. Gayl
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the image of the backside.
I am not able to make a signature match to a known, listed artist.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~or~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please open the question of the signature to all experts if I do not go over my original deposit. Please give me an estimated value as I wonder if it is worth being restored. Thank you for your help. Gayl
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
I would love to help. To start, the words on the back are those of the canvas maker and do not have anything to do with the artist. The artist name that you mention does not exist, so I will need the same photos to decipher the signature and take a good look at the painting and the damage. There is a listed artist named Gabriel Belot that lived during that time period, but I will have to look at the signature and style of painting. I will also be able to give a value in present condition and one as restored condition. Send photos to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomerin antiques' in the subject line so that they will get forwarded to me.