Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Trying to find information about an oil on canvas stil life…

Customer Question
Trying to find information about...
Trying to find information about an oil on canvas stil life of fruit. Signature looks like Buroi, dated 1849. On the back it says Ancienne Masion Valle Bellavoine. The rest is hard to make out. The painting needs a lot of restoration, wondering if it has any value? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/27/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 3 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Have photos and responses to your questions but do not know how to send the information. Do you have an e- mail address? I did not save my original e-mail to you. Gayl
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora
Thank you for the image of the backside.
I am not able to make a signature match to a known, listed artist.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~or~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Please open the question of the signature to all experts if I do not go over my original deposit. Please give me an estimated value as I wonder if it is worth being restored. Thank you for your help. Gayl
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
I would love to help. To start, the words on the back are those of the canvas maker and do not have anything to do with the artist. The artist name that you mention does not exist, so I will need the same photos to decipher the signature and take a good look at the painting and the damage. There is a listed artist named Gabriel Belot that lived during that time period, but I will have to look at the signature and style of painting. I will also be able to give a value in present condition and one as restored condition. Send photos to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomerin antiques' in the subject line so that they will get forwarded to me.