Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I just came across a beautiful painting and I'm trying to find…

Customer Question
I just came across a...
I just came across a beautiful painting and I'm trying to find the value. Can I send a picture to you? Can't read the artists signature. The date says 1844 or 1894?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/25/2015
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Could you post a close up of the signature and an image of the back, and note the size, please?
The home I got the painting from is packed with antiques. So full can't hardly walk through. This beautiful painting was hanging on the living room wall.. Lady died and I'm helping her husband clean out the house..
It appears to be dated 1894...let me do a bit of searching and I will be back ASAP!
With kind regards,
Steve
Thank you!!☺️
OK, I have scoured all available guides (the name is "Haitison", by the way, which is an English surname common to Candada and the US as well. There are no listed artists by that last name at all, sorry...
Although the work is well executed, either the artist did not create a lot of works or was a student or talented amateur. There is a wide difference in the value of listed and unknown artist works such as this, and unfortunately there are tens of thousands more unlisted and unknown than listed.
The only way to determine market value is to compare the style and genre and quality to other unlisted artist works, and when you do the calculations, based on sales in the past ten months, the value works out to be from $850 to $1,250 in most active markets. Many works such as this captivate the splendour of the late Victorian era and my instinct tells me the piece is more than likely English in origin.
For insurance replacement value, I would suggest $2,000 as the work does capture a classical theme and pose and should have market appeal based on that. I do wish I could tell you more.
I also ran a search on Ancestry.com and while there were scores of last name matches in the US, Canada and in the UK, none had any first initials like yours--and bear in mind the signature could be a maiden name as well, so that further complicates the issue. Extensive research by an art historian may turn up more, but honestly, the cost would far exceed the market value for what you have. Hope I didn't disappoint you too badly, and that you understand my reasoning.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve