Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a gold, 3 X 5 original framed etching by Mary Lehman…

Customer Question
I have a gold, 3...
I have a gold, 3 X 5 original framed etching by Mary Lehman of six horses. It in pencil is signed
AP six horses M. Lehman
The back of the gold frame in a marker it says 3 X 5 29.75 which I believe the frame cost 29.75.
On the back of the colored etching has a piece of cardboard the holds the picture in place. On this cardboard it says in Mary's handwriting:
Thank you Margaret,
Mary Lehman
1971
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
as the back of the etching has a piece of card board holding the picture in place and ***** *****dwriting says "Thank you Margaret, Mary Lehman 1971, does this make the etching any more valuable or is Her signature of "Mary Lehman" have an added or no extra value. Shirley
5/20/2015
Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 3 years ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Thank you for the question! It would be my pleasure to assist you.
Small etchings by Mary Lehman typically sell at the $150 to $200 level at auction (see: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/29101708_mary-lehman-etching) although at the gallery level they may sell at the $250 to $400 level. While the hand notation on the back in Ms. Lehman's hand may add to the value to some buyers, generally this is the sort of thing that is nice, but typically wouldn't add substantial value for this artist.
Should this prove helpful, kindly rate my service positively so I'm credited for answering the question. If not, let me know how I can provide more help. I understand that sometimes an item may be worth more or less than you expected; if you'd like further explanation of the market for a given item, please let me know and again, thank you!