ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have my Great Grandmother's Lane Cedar Chest - Serial Number

Customer Question

I have my Great Grandmother's Lane Cedar Chest - Serial Number 040028 - Style Number 2244. It is quite pretty - but could use a bit of sprucing up now - has a few knicks/perhaps very small paint splatters on the top. What would be it's value and should I try to repair any knicks, etc.??
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question! It would be my pleasure to assist you.
From Lane, the serial numbers can be read backwards, so 040028 would have been produced in 1940 (see: http://www.lanefurniture.com/Contact-Us/FAQ.aspx) and even though it is nearly a century old, the value of these old Lane Cedar chests can be rather modest and at antique stores they can sell at the $120 to $200 level typically. Generally, I would not advise trying to make repairs unless you can do it easily. Typically a buyer may want to refinish it him or herself, but if you're handy, it wouldn't hurt the value as people would purchase this to use (rather than as a fine antique).
Should this prove helpful, kindly rate my service positively so I'm credited for answering the question. If not, let me know how I can provide more help. I understand that sometimes an item may be worth more or less than you expected; if you'd like further explanation of the market for a given item, please let me know and again, thank you!