Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I received a hummel that I can not find in***** *****'s M.I.

Customer Question

I received a hummel that I can not find in***** *****'s M.I. Hummel book.
It is of a Chimney Sweep carrying a ladder on his back and his left arm holds a wooden chimnet broom. On the bottom it has KF 38 and also a stylized Bee with V. Can you tell me if this is a fake Hummel or just something else?
Thank you,
Elisabeth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
I would love to help. In addition to your great information, I'd like a photo of the piece and of the mark for proper assessment. There might be some visual clues there for me. You can add photos by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILE button in the box where you type back to me. This works best on a desktop.
Let me know if you have any problems doing this.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
I am thinking this is your fellow here.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/204307144/1970s-goebel-hummel-kf-38-chimney-sweep
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will look at the above web site and also try and send a photo to you. Let me ask my husband how to do that.
I have seen the ones on the internet. I was just wondering why the one I have does not have Goebel on the bottom but just the V and the bee. Also the number of hummels generally start at 1 and go up to 2000's and this has a KB on it and I have never seen this before on a hummel. So I was thinking if indeed you are an antuque expert you would know why it is numbered differently than all my other hundreds of hummels?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OOOps it is a KF not a KB
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
This is why I want to see photos. Most call this a Goebel piece rather than a Hummel because it was made in the 70's. I want to put all of the pieces together with visual clues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, two photos added, hope you receive them.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
Great, I got the pictures. I had thought from your description that yours had the red wooden broom. This is why pictures help so much!
Yours is authentic, please don't be worried because it isn't in a book. The mark is the TMK 3 mark that dates this piece to 1957 to 1960. He is called the Chimney Sweep and the KF 38 is what should be incised under the glaze. It all checks out as authentic. The value, however, is still at about 30-40 dollars. The market for Hummel/Goebel figurines has become so soft in the past 5 years that I have seen whole tables full of them go for 40 dollars at local auctions. I hope I have at least given you the confirmation that you needed that this piece is authentic.