Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a very strange cup that is extremely old. It has some…

Customer Question
I have a very strange...
I have a very strange cup that is extremely old. It has some writing on the bottom. How do I find out if its worth anything?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/20/2015
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Can you advise of the writing or markings visible on the base, please?
It looks as though it says 550Bc
Thank you...the piece you have is a copy of a type of ware produced in Corinth, Greece, circa 350 BC and you have what is termed a "museum grade replica" in the open market. These are often made in the region but also were manufactured in Mexico in the early to mid 20th century and exported all over the world to souvenir shops, cruise lines heading to Greece, and even to museum shops.
It would appear there was likely a production run of up to 1,000 made and you have number 556 of the series and you can see the remnant of a gummed tag on the base, indicating it was at one time sold as a tagged piece, likely from the 1950s onwards.
As such, the real value is more in the decor market than fine arts, as it is a replica. Most similar pieces today retail from $35-65 on the open market.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
Oh, and it does appear to be 550 BC, but the form was made as early as 350 BC in the region.
With kind regards,
Steve