Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an antique bronze lamp about 30 in tall. We think it is late 18th century. T…

Customer Question
hello. I have an antique...
hello. I have an antique bronze lamp about 30 in tall. We think it is late 18th century. The lamp part is under a small umbrella. A boy and girl sit below on a shaze in an embrace with their faces close. They look indian or arabian. The bronze lamp sits on a 1 inch thick beige marble base. Very heavy, rare, and in great condition. looking for value. The faces, hands, shoes, clothing, furniture all have exquisite detail
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/19/2015
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Could you post a few images, please, and note any signatures or markings present?
i am taking them right now!
Thank you and again, please note ANY markings you see anywhere.
Thank you, ***** ***** review some guides on similar items and I will be back with you ASAP.
With kind regards,
Steve
we cant find any markings, although it is very dusty but we are afraid to do anything to it. markings may be covered or hidden. thank you
Thank you...can you look on the bottom and advise if the figure is held in place with a 4-sided nut/bolt or 5-sided, please?
im calling to ask
my mom says they look round with notches on sides, sending photo right now
Thanks! It may be tomorrow before I get back with you--I am sending out a few images of yours to double check with an associate who deals almost exclusively in that field. Hope that is ok!
With kind regards,
Steve
okay so i should wait until tomorrow to hear anything?
Thank you...that tells me a lot by itself as that type of fastener is generally post-WWII. It could have been remounted, also. It will likely be tomorrow before I hear anything back, sorry--but the thread should show up in your email once I find what I need to support what I tell you! Honestly, I don't think it's as old as you think--but I want to do all I can to be sure. Hope you understand.
With kind regards,
Steve
okay thank you!
Nothing conclusive as of right now, but should know in a few hours--thank you for your patience!
Hello. Anything? It's been a few days
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
So sorry, the thread disappeared from my queue...not sure why. Let me pull my notes and BRB...
Found my notes! The casting is French and dates to late first to the 2nd quarter, 20th century. It is one of many renditions of "The Lovers," an original work crafted by L&F Moreau but created after their demise. It was "lost wax" cast, which adds to the fine detail.
Many of these were marketed in the fine decor markets of New York City and Philadelphia, but cast in Paris for export. The earliest record on the actual form I could locate was 1915, but as the base appears original, again, the use of the notched fasteners was generally begun around WWII and in full production by the end of WWII--sorry.
Many of these forms are not actually bronze, either--many are cast in "French bronze" which is actually spelter, or a zinc alloy. You can tell readily if you remove the base (you can use needle nose pliers) and inspect the bottom of the casting. When you scratch it with steel, brass and bronze looks yellowish while spelter appears silvery.
At present, the active retail would be from $750 to $1,250 as it is well executed and in overall solid condition. The insurance replacement value would be more akin to $2,000 for the contingency of actually finding a suitable replacement, which would not be easy!
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
We un mounted it and it scratched off goldish yellow and the only marking we saw was an 8
That is a plus! If in bronze alloy, which I honestly did not think it was, you can add $750-1,000 to the value. The number is ***** the mold casting form number rather than a numerical sequence of casting. Sure wish the foundry marking was there, too!
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
Steven-R
Steven-R