Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Have original painting by unknown artist.

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/19/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 3 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
the painting is 17.5" l x 40" wide, We think the tag on the back of the painting reads : #705 A. Castella "Surroundings of Tivoli"
home papers 082.jpghome pa...jpghome papers 083.jpghome pa...jpghome papers 084.jpghome pa...jpghome papers 085.jpghome pa...jpghome papers 086.jpghome pa...jpghome papers 088.jpghome pa...jpghome papers 089.jpghome pa...jpg
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
At your convenience, please add clear, in-focus close-up images of the signature on this painting.
~Nora
There is no signature... There is a label on the back. I sent picture of that to you.
From the images, I can see that the painting is signed in the lower left corner.
~Nora
Sorry about that I will get that to you after work today. Thank you. Joanne
No worries, Joanne.
Thank you for the images of the signature.
~Nora
One more request, please.
In order for me to help establish the age of this for you, please include a full view of the back side of this painting - do not remove from frame.
Thank you,
Nora
Thank you for your time
IMG_20150521_091909.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20150521_091952.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20150521_092022.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20150521_092105.jpgIMG_201...jpg
Hi There~
Thank you for all the images, information and your patience.
This is an original early 20th century, circa 1930’s, oil painting that was done by an unlisted artist, A. Castella. Unlisted means that this artist does not sell at auction for collector or investment purposes but moreso for decorative wall art.
On today’s market, this can garner a high of $300 - $400 at auction. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $900.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora