Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have in my collection of books-one by Sir Richard Whitbourne

Customer Question
1623 printed-approximately 110 pages in...
I have in my collection of books-one by Sir Richard Whitbourne 1623 printed-approximately 110 pages in good to very good condition.He published a number of books ALL are Different.He witnessed Sir Humphry Gilbert take possession of the new found land at St.John's in August 5th 1583. Many references to other parts of the world and north america especially Virginia. Whitbourne believes England should invest in NEWFOUNDLAND over Other Colonies. Appreciate your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/18/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos of the title and publisher page(s) in this volume. .
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Please let me know if more or better pictures are needed
20150520_134858.jpg2015052...jpg20150520_133503.jpg2015052...jpg20150520_133515.jpg2015052...jpg20150520_133719.jpg2015052...jpg
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
At your convenience, please check the paper pages on which this tome is printed. If you hold the paper to the light, or look closely, is there a tight series of grid lines embedded in the paper?
~Nora
Hi Nora,The book pages appear to have lines. The vertical ones are dominant although there are no, or not many horizontal lines.
Do you need a picture of a blank page?
Yes please, a photo of the blank page to see the lines will be helpful.
Thank you,
Nora
Great thank you for the image.
Please allow me some time to look into and write your assessment.
~Nora
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
From the images and the use of laid paper your book does appear to be an authentic and original 17th century printing.
The retail prices at high end rare and antique book dealer shops are as high as $25,000 - $30,000. If you were to sell these on your own, expect to garner in the range of $15,000.
If interested in selling this, the best route would be through auction. It is free to contact auction houses and get an estimate for sale. You can contact each auction house through their website. You will send them photos and information. You would not be obligated to sell with any of them. Please bear in mind that estimates will vary from each business, and that the highest estimate is not necessarily a guarantee of a sale.
Here is a list I have made for you of the auction companies and dealers:
Bauman's Rare Books in Manhattan - http://www.baumanrarebooks.com/
PBA Rare Book Auctions in San Francisco: http://www.pbagalleries.com/
Swann’s Auction Galleries: http://www.swanngalleries.com/bo_oks.cgi
Bloomsbury London: http://www.bloomsburyauctions.com/
Heritage Auctions: www.ha.com
Australian Book Auctions: http://www.australianbookauctions.com/
Dominic Winter Auctions: www.dominic-winter.co.uk/
Bonham’s Book and Manuscripts Dept: www.bonhams.com/departments/BOK/
Contact all of them, if possible for you, regardless of the company location. This will also help you get a consensus opinion on the value and estimates. Approach each one as if you are interested in selling through them. Auction houses take a percentage of the final sale price, so it is in their best interest to sell it for a premium bid.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Nora
Nora