Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a Capodimonte statue of "The Cheaters" in exce

Customer Question
Hello. I have a Capodimonte...
Hello. I have a Capodimonte statue of "The Cheaters" in excellent condition (no noticeable damage). It is approximately 22 inches long by 12 inches wide and maybe 10 or 11 inches tall. I am interested in liquidating it. Can you suggest how I might find a buyer? How can I determine a fair price for the piece? Thank you. Tony
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/17/2015
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hi Tony,
Thanks for asking for me. I would be happy to help with your "The Cheaters" figural group.
Can you attach a photo so I can see which one it is?
Also, is there an impressed artist name on it anywhere? Many different artists did a version of this composition and marketed them with a Capodimonte crowned N mark.
Also, if you give me your zip, I'll see what options there are near you for selling it.
Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert
PS Here's a really easy way to attach photos.
Just three clicks and a copy and paste and you are done:
Go to http://www.imgur.com/
(no need to 'log in' or 'register' it makes it too complicated)
Click on "Upload Images"
Click on "Browse Your Computer"
Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.
Hit "open".
Click on "Start Upload" (and wait few seconds pictures to load)
And then copy the link they give you. It will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx and it's located right under where it says Image Link
and paste it here where you are typing to me.
(If you have uploaded multiple photos on one Imgur.com link, copy the URL in the browser bar at the top of your screen, otherwise I get just one photo).
http://imgur.com/JCR1UdU
http://imgur.com/tVRNQ8A
http://imgur.com/fSIVCgT
Do we need to publish the images for you to see?
Our zip code is 28801.
Did we get disconnected?
OK. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
Thanks for the excellent photos. That's all I need. I can see exactly what you have.
I'll have a full answer and a value for you just as soon as I can.
Best wishes,
Robert
http://imgur.com/JCR1UdU,tVRNQ8A,fSIVCgT
The signature on the base reads "Merli" which indicates that the modeler for your piece was artist Bruno Merli and was produced initially in the 1960s.
As I mentioned, there are dozens of versions and variations, commonly called La Cheato, (The Cheaters) as it was a highly popular composition in its day. The first version was by Pucci, but it has also been done by Scaggiari, Cortesi, Giuseppe Armani and of course, Bruno Merli, and this is the largest size of Merli's version that he produced.
Assuming perfect condition with no repairs, this one sells at auction or on line (eBay etc) in the range of $500 - 800.
It has a full retail (or replacement) value of $1600 for insurance purposes.
As far as selling is concerned, by far your best option in Ashville by far is:
Brunks Auction house *****Asheville, NC 28805
http://www.brunkauctions.com/selling/how-to-consign/
They will get you the best auction price in the area and come highly recommended. I have used them a number of times myself.
An auction house will usually charge 15% - 20% of the hammer price as a seller's commission. Make sure you ask what you are likely to net from the sale so there are no surprises.
You might do a little better by contacting your local antiques mall and asking them who the specialist Capodimonte collector is. They will know and give you contact details. A collector/dealer may offer you a little more if he/she knows they might have a customer for it, as they often do, otherwise they usually pay the low end of the auction estimate (but no commission charges, obviously)
I do hope this helps and best of luck with selling it.
Best wishes,
Robert
Hi Tony,
Just checking to see whether you had read my response and if there is anything further I could help with.
If not, could you rate my services (with the smiley faces or the "Accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. And we can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.
Many thanks.
Robert
Robert S.
Robert S.