Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Antique Puzzle..made by McLaughlin Bros publishers. New York

Customer Question

Box of 2 puzzles. 9 x 12. Tittle is. Chopped Up ni**ers.
My possession since 1900. ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
.
The Boxed Set of Puzzles, by McLaughlin Bros publishers. New York has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $400.00-450.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.
.
If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.
.
You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! .
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found more & better information myself.. Same puzzles for &4500 with no missing pieces. Tias. Not fair to charge ... NB
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello
The prices I gave your are actual selling prices, not listed prices, they come from a data base that appraisers use that tracks all past sale in the past 12 months, this is what they have sold for at the top auction houses and antique shops as well as online venues. Any site can list their items for as much as they want to, we can only report to the customer what the items have actually sold for. That is how an appraisal is determined. Not asking price but, sold prices. I saw the same thing you saw, on Tias, that is not a sold price.!
One sold at Mosby & Co. Auctions 905 W. 7th St Frederick, MD 21701
United States for $500.00, the estimated bringing price was 200.00-300.00,
One sold on Proxibid for $550.00.
.
Antique Trader Price Guide has the puzzle priced at 1500 for 2005, since 2005 values in the Antique Market have fallen drastically, the poor economy has taken a huge toll on the antique market. The worst all us in the business have seen, and I have been doing this 45 years!
You can see their value here: https://books.google.com/books?id=Dp5YWgm_UpoC&pg=PA236&lpg=PA236&dq=Chopped+Up+ni+ggers+puzzle.&source=bl&ots=77Gzt9qAZC&sig=BqKM8KSdw2JQuXa4J0PfWF_kZTE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_CFVVbqSEIKWygTPuIDwDw&ved=0CC4Q6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=Chopped%20Up%20ni%20ggers%20puzzle.&f=false
.
I am not sure what information you were wanting to find out,you asked the question in appraisals which tells us you want a value. Which I provided for you. I cannot make up what something is valued at, I can only tell you what they are selling for! As for charging you, I did not charge you anything, I am not an employee of justanswer site, I am an appraiser who comes to the site to answer questions that customers ask! I do not charge anyone anything. I am only paid for my time by the site after the customer has given me a good rating.
.
I am so sorry this is not selling for as much as you would like for it to, or as much as whoever that is on Tias is asking for theirs. I wish them the best of luck in selling it, which I do not believe they will since people can find this much cheaper other places. But I do wish them luck and hope they do sell for that, then that would set the value for an appraisal down the road.
.
.
.
.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda