Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers. Author of 3 books on collecting.
57035021

I have a huge collection of Norman Rockwell figurines by Gorham.

Customer Question

I have a huge collection of Norman Rockwell figurines by Gorham. I also have a limited edition of his Gorham l0 4 Season Sets in perfect condition along with the boxes. I also have Gorhams RW1 thru RW54, The 4 Seasons Sets for 1972 - 1973 - 1974 - 1975 - l976 1977 - 1978 1979 1980 1981. I have about 96% of the original boxes they came in. I am very interested in selling all of these .
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with this question.
How may I help you? Are you looking for advice on how to sell these items?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am interested in selling my Norman Rockwell Figurines made by Gorham.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am interested in selling my Norman Rockwell Figurines made by Gorham.
Deciding on which way to sell your collection really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it quickly, I'd recommend selling it as one lot.
The only downside to selling collectibles right now is that baby boomers are aging and retiring, so that currently there are a number of people trying to get rid of their collectibles. There is quite a lot on the market. Also, your collectibles are limited edition collectibles, which have a very weak secondary market.
For selling, Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be a great alternative to Ebay. http://www.bonanza.com and http://www.artfire.com are pretty good up-and-coming online sites. Etsy has very reasonable listing rates.
Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great selling sites too. They sell worldwide. There is also GoAntiques.
You might check out the cost of consigning at local antique shops. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final selling price, but you have less competition when you sell locally. It's always worth checking out. Selling locally has the advantage of not requiring you to pack and ship these items. To sell locally, you can advertise on craigslist.com (free) or in your local newspaper. You could even post a notice on the bulletin board at your local supermarket.
Ebay is kind of a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the selling prices tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to placing it in an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
I hope this answer has been helpful to you. If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.
You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.
Thank you so much!