Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a old cigar humidor measuring approximately 25

Customer Question
hello I have a old...
hello I have a old cigar humidor measuring approximately 25 inches high by 15 inches wide by 15 inches deep made by the Jewett humidor company in Buffalo New York it is 100 percent complete. Made from what I think is called tiger oak. Interior is some sort of glass, fully intact/no cracks, brass ornate hinges and lock with key and brass corners.
I'm trying to find out the value and age of this item and an outlet to sell. I haven't had any luck on Craigslist or Ebay so far and I'm not sure how to price it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
5/5/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal. When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely,Nora
Hello
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello are you there?
Hello, My apologies, I am testing a new system through the entire week and initially attached images are not showing on my end. There are now two photos attached, one of the wire shelves inside and one of the Jewett humidor tag. Do you have more photos? ~Nora
I've sent more pictures. for some reason when I checked the photos they were zoomed in so you have to zoom out to view them
Hi There~ Thank you for the images and your patience. This dates to the Arts & Crafts era, circa 1895 - 1905. A comparable in size and shape by the same maker sold for $2000 on goantiques.com What was your asking price on Craigs & Ebay? What category did you place this in on Ebay? Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know! Your question will NOT close after you leave rating. Sincerely,Nora
I placed it under antiques for sale by owner and was asking $2,500. How rare if at all would you say this item is. also is there any sort of demand for this type of item and where is the best place to try to sell it
Hi~ Under what category did you place the humidor on Ebay? I suggest tobacciana under collectibles. This is not particularly rare as cigars were ubiquitous at that time, so there are a lot of supplies pertaining to cigars from that era. There is a niche market, generally hand in hand with luxury lifestyle collectors, and so a fair demand for this. I suggest lowering the price down to $2000 and placing this under the proper categories on Ebay for 30 days with a $2000 asking price and Make and Offer option. You can also check sites like Cigar Afficionado magazine to see if they have a for sale/want ad section. Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know! Your question will NOT close after you leave rating. Sincerely,Nora
Nora
Nora