Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Antique Aunt Jemima cookie Jar of the 1930 era

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help you today. There are actually several varieties of this jar, with the earliest made circa 1939 and the most popular and common examples made by McCoy Pottery (From the 1940s to the 1960s, McCoy was best known for its production of cookie jars. The original "Mammy" also known as the "Aunt Jemima" type cookie jar (which is actually a brand of maple syrup and has nothing to do with cookies) is the most popular with McCoy cookie jar collectors. McCoy made cookie jars from about 1939 until production ceased in 1987. The first McCoy cookie jar produced is also one of the most valuable cookie jars in the secondary market today, called the "Mammy" cookie jar, which can be valued into the several hundreds of dollars. Those examples are all white (with the face and hands painted either black or off shade dark brown)--the later ones have red paint...which one do you have, and is it marked on the base?
Expert:  Steven-R replied 2 years ago.
Any update?