Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Its hand painted porcelin. I think its victorian era. The

It's hand painted porcelin. I think it's victorian era. The workmanship is very fine. There's a stamp with a cresent moon and star and A's in circles on the corners and flags. This stamp is on the bottom of both pieces.
I would like to know everything possible about my beautiful cream pitcher and sugar bowl.
Hi There~

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help you with your set. Does the sugar bowl have a lid with it?

Would it be possible for you to send me clear, in-focus close-up photos of the marks?

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.

For photos you can try the paperclip attachment icon in the toolbar below. (available in the Firefox browser only)

-OR-

The most successful method for sharing pictures is this:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The edges are wavy, so I don't think there was ever a time when it had a lid.

I have tried to attach the picture you requested. I attached it but it was very big so you would have to shrink it to see it. Then I got a message that I was not allowed to send it.

I'm not comfortable going to that igmar site. Isn't there a different way, like the way I sent you the first picture?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jamie,

Pleasure to read back from you here.

The image did not attach.

I will also let customer service know that you are encountering an error message.

In the meantime, if neither the paperclip function nor imgur.com works for you to load photos, then you can email your images [email protected]

When you send your photos to that email address, please write “For Nora/Antiques” in the re: line and request that email be forwarded to me.

The images must come from the same email address you use for this site. Best to include your user name in the email. If you send from a phone, please include your email address in the text.

Photos must be under 1MB to make it through email or they will not arrive.

Please note, photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

I look forward to seeing the images.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

http://imgur.com/FJnU4sO

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the image. Please allow me some time here to write your assessment for you.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i will upload the pictures of both pieces.

Ok great, thanks. And could you let me know a rough idea of the size of each one?

~Nora
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, I will measure them. I hope you got the pictures I just sent of each piece.

The additional photos are not showing here. Are you referring to using email or imgur.com?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

imgur.com

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/K1CjIx6.jpg

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both are pproximately 5 and a half inches long

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/JqYG4yc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/toMnwLR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/toMnwLR.jpg

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the images.

I will have your assessment completed soon and posted here for you.

~Nora
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hope the igmur pictures were easy to see. I've been trying to get used to that site.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your patience. The imgur.com images were perfect.

Your fancy sugar and creamer set was made for the A.A. Vantine, an American company.

The set was produced in Japan.

The material is porcelain and the raised texture of the handpainted design is referred to as moriage.

Ashley A. Vantine first began a supply business in San Francisco in the 1840's to 1869. During that time he traveled extensively to China, Japan, Turkey and Russia. In 1869 he moved to NYC and established a trading company selling wares from the Far East.

Vantine had two factories producing ceramic wares for his US store in Yokohama and Nagoya Japan. By the beginning of the 20th century he had a catalogue mail order company. Vantine closed in 1951.

The mark on each of your pieces date these to having been produced between 1910 – 1920’s.

The mark is of a crossed Japanese and Imperial Chinese flag with a crescent moon and star in between for Turkey, thus representing the countries in which Vantine had business relations.

On today’s market your antique Japanese handpainted porcelain cream and sugar set with moriage decoration made for A.A. Vantine for the US market would sell for $75 - $125. The insurance, or replacement value is $250 for the set. The sale price is due to the slump in the global economy, and not because of a loss of interest in this.

Feel free if you have further questions about your antique cream and sugar set.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora
Hi Jamie~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

You can use the specific ask for expert function.

When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.

Sincerely,
Nora