Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an old set of dominoes that says they are genuine ivory

from the Hang On Ivory...
I have an old set of dominoes that says they are genuine ivory from the Hang On Ivory Factory in Hong Kong. They do have the "grain" which I understand Ivory has, and they are in the original box. On the bottom of the box it is stamped 49/100.

They are not real heavy so I am quesitoning if they are real ivory?

Any ideas to help me determine the value?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2012
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

.

The best way to know is to do the test, The tried and true method to test ivory is the famous "hot pin test". This method is used by beginners and experts alike. Because true ivory is virtually impenetrable with heat, this is a good test and will not damage the item if it is "real". Take a pin, large needle, or better yet a large straightened out
safety pin, and heat the tip RED-HOT. Poke the item somewhere that it will not show too bad .If it is real ivory, it will NOT penetrate and only leave a tiny tiny mark. If it is a resin, it will enter the item and produce a little crater around the hole. Now the big test... smell the "smoke" that comes of the test as you are poking it. If it is real ivory, it will have that unmistakable smell of the dentist's office when you had that root
canal (stomach turning). It smells like burning tooth (because it IS). If it smells like burning plastic, it IS. Now, bone is also resistant to heat, but not as much as ivory. The smell is less (or hardly at all) and is different than that of burning tooth.

.

The Genuine Ivory Domino Sets have a current estimated value on the secondary retail market for an average of $150.00-175.00, depending on the condition and where they are for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, I would check with your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country..( Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities. )
.

So be sure to check your local area. This will give you an idea of what it goes for in your area, then you can decide to sell locally or at one of the online markets.

.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me, if there is a problem with my answer please feel free contacting me before leaving a negative feedback, any problem can be resolved.

.

New Rating System, Explanation:

.

A good feed back rating lets JustAnswer/ Pearl know I did my job and therefore I get credit and compensation for my work, so please leave a good feed back ( 3 stars and above, or 3 smiley faces and above, not "Helped a little" or "I expected more" ) it is very much appreciated, unless you do not feel a good feedback is warranted, then please let me know what else I can do for you, ( if anything ) to help get a good feedback by, clicking on the " Continue the Conversation Link". My good rating is very important to me and something I strive to keep.

.

And if you would like to use me on any further questions. It works much better putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question , then I will be sure to get it. Requesting me expires in just a short time.

.

It has been a pleasure working for you, I look forward to it again.

.

Thank you so much

Glenda

Did you have any idea what the number on the bottom of the box is? 49/100 ??

Also, a friend of mine researched this company online and he was under the impression these could be worth several thousand dollars IF they are genuine; I don't see anything like this in my research. And is it lawful to sell ivory?

Peggy,

The number on the box is their inventory number, this company was very well known for selling Ivory Domino Sets , Figurines and Chest Sets, most of the sets were sold to Military Personell when they went there. The Hang On Ivory Factory, located on Castle Road in Hong Kong, was established by Raymond Wang in 1921, and is still in business, today. Here is a listing for a set of Antique Ivory Dominos, currently for sale:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/522414-ls001031/Antique-Ivory-Ebony-Handmade-Dominoes they are 249.00.

.

Here is a set that sold for 175.00, http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10741392_boxed-set-of-antique-small-ivory-dominoes-each-do

.

Here is a set that sold for 103.00. http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=10854

.

This is just a small example of what these sets are selling for, it is not against the law to sell Ivory if it is pre 1972 Ivory. But, I know there are a lot of sets of Ivory Dominos and Chess sets for sell all over the internet. Your set could possibly sell for much more then this, the prices I gave are the most current selling prices, that does not mean they cannot sell for much more. Selling prices are very dependent on where an item is for sell at, who is purchasing it , and how badly they are wanting it. I have seen items estimated to sell in auctions for 100.00 sell for a thousand. If you feel yours should sell for more then I would price it higher and see what happens it may just sell for a lot more.

.

.

New Rating System, Explanation:

.

.

.

.

Thank you so much

Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser