Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I purchased a beautiful handmade floral needlepoint rug (8x10)

Customer Question
I purchased a beautiful handmade...
I purchased a beautiful handmade floral needlepoint rug (8x10') at a church rummage sale. I was told the rug is over 100 years old. The colors are vibrant and it is in mint condition (no holes, fading, or wear) I don't know anything about needlepoint but- I counted 100 stitches in a square inch. The rug doesn't have a backing- but its beautiful in it's own right. Can you give me an idea of its value or how I might find out what it is worth. It is really a work of art. Thanks- Cynthia
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 day by:
11/1/2011
Antique Expert: Appraiser Alan AOA C, Appraiser & Adjuster replied 6 years ago
Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Appraiser & Adjuster
Experience: Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
Hello Cynthia,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Personal Property Appraiser specializing in Fine Art & Antiques and I am here to help! Is this a tapestry made for the wall or is it a hook rug? does it have a 1 inch white strip of canvas type cloth along the border for traction on the floor? Thanks, Alan

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your willingness to help me learn more about the beautiful handmade floral needlepoint rug that I purchased at a church rummage sale. It was all folded up when I bought it- and it wasn't until I got home, that I realized that I had indeed found a treasure.

The rug is approximately 10 'by 7.' It is one piece (not stitched together) The colors are incredibly vibrant! There is no wear or tear.

The back is not covered, but the edges are bound. It looks like the creator carefully folded and hemmed the rug's canvas. (I'm sorry if I'm not describing this well. I don't know very much about needlepoint- so I don't have the vocabulary to describe this in detail) And yes, there is a 2 inch strip of canvas cloth around the border for traction.

There are approximately 100 stitches in a square inch and the stitches look like ///////// It is an extremely precise and detailed rug. The shading on the flowers make them almost seem 3 dimentional. I can't begin to imagine how long it took to create this piece. The church ladies told me that it was over 100 years old.

It isn't a tapestry for the wall. It is much too big. But that being said, it really looks like something you might see in the National Gallery of Art or Louvre.

I posted photos of it on the website for the American Needlework Guild and have received feedback that it is an extraordinary piece- "exqusite." Here is the linnk

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANG_List/photos/album/132845323/pic/list

It isn't a hook rug- but a needlepoint rug. I believe that the material is dyed wool- perhaps with silk. The flowers are bordered by a needlepoint frame and some gold needlepoint decorative object that sort of look like trumpets. Can I send you a photo? Thanks, Cynthia

Because I am not allowed to share my email address or phone number, to share pictures, you have upload them directly to the chat box.

To do this they have to be less than 5mb in size. To attach them here, click the paper clip icon and then browse to choose a GIF, PNG, or JPG. Upload and then follow the prompts to insert it. Once you push insert, wait for it to load. once you are able to see the actual image and not the word "graphic" , then submit the message. Thanks!

Cynthia's Floral Needlepoint rugCynthia's floral needlepoint rug 2Cynthia's floral  needlepoint rug 3Cynthia's floral  needlepoint rug

Using my resources to look into your inquiry, I was able to find comparable sales that give your rug a current secondary market value of $900 - $1,200 USD at auction or in a private sale.

Sincerely,

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, AOA AM, CA

Can you tell me how to describe the distinctive decorative border on the rug? Also What is the gold design called? It is not a fleur de lis or a cornucopia. Thanks- Cynthia
Hello Cynthia,

the rug is beautiful you did good! The borders are done in what is called Acanthus Leaf Scroll the Greeks were the first to use Acanthus leafs in decorating it looks kind of like a celery stalk leaf. The flowers you have Blue posies, Peonies, yellow and red roses, very nice. This is called a Needle Point Rug I would say it dates to the early 1900's so yes it is 100 years old which makes it an antique and being done by hand it probably took over a year to make. The downside is that at auction they do not sell for much and your rug has a secondary market value between $900-$1200 USD. For insurance replacement purposes I would estimate it at $1500 USD. I hope you did good at the sale thanks for showing it to me it is a treasure take care of it.

Sincerely,

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, AOA AM, CA

Appraiser Alan AOA C