Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

i have 4 different roofing slates hand crafted, vieux carre,

old roofing slates, most authentic...
i have 4 different roofing slates hand crafted, vieux carre, old roofing slates, most authentic antique of the french quarter, over 200 years old. I'm supposed to relist as i have pd 50 dollars for this so far , but my computer went down .... i finally have it back up but an using another pc
8/2/2011
Michelle
Michelle, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Michelle :

Hello, Michelle here. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Michelle :

do your slates have paintings on them or are they just the plain roof slates?

Michelle :

Since Hurricane Katrina they roofing slates are popping up all over the place all the while the historic commission is trying to find a way to replace the lost pieces. You can find them for sale in shops with French Quarter pictures painted on them for $10 ea but they might be more valuable if offered for sale back to the historic society in New Orleans. I don't know for a fact that they would pay for them. When I was in New Orleans after the hurricane they were laying everywhere.

Michelle :

they should be the

Customer:

yes they have painting, 1- is of bourbon st with a street light and a jazz singer in red jacket and blk and wht striped pants, writing was painted with jazz across the street light, 2- has painting of bourbon st with houses and people on the street, writing on the bottom says, bourbon street, new orleans 1920 looks like signature is BM Daily? could be darcey ? hard to read 3- is a single street light that says bourbon st, 4- is street with the street light focused,

Michelle :

After Katrina people began picking up the old roof slates and began creating 'art' on them. As I said the old slate from the roofs was all over the place.

Michelle :

The only price is decorative and they are selling for $10 USD each.

Customer:

I've had these for well over 20 yrs

Michelle :

They have a decorative value only due to the large quantity of them on the market. If the slate could be attributed to a historic building and had a certificate of authenticity the value might be higher.

Customer:

they can't be from katrina as the signature is marked MB 87, well before that. the other 2 i think are signature and date of 1976 and 1970? wouldn't that make a difference?

Michelle :

I made an assumption that they were from Katrina and for that I apologize.

Customer:

the artist name is XXXXX XXXXX not sure if its BM Davey

Michelle :

That name does not show any relation to an artist

Customer:

there is also a comments on the back, with the following info.

Customer:

In February 1718, Jean Baptiste Le Moyne, Sieur De Bienville, put fifty men to work clearing land for a new settlement to be New Orleans the area they began clearing is now known as the french quarter.

Customer:

By 1722, New Orleans with a population less than 500 people becan the capital of french louisiana.

Michelle :

I just got off the phone with my cousin who live in New Orleans and he said that over the years the historic society and city have held fundraisers selling piles of slate from demolished buildings and historic buildings will sell the slate roofing when they update their roofs. He said that "slate art" has been popular for a number of years in the area. There are artists who specialize in 'slate painting.'

Michelle :

The notes on the back are giving a history of the city or the painting on the front.

Customer:

in 1788 and 1794 two great fires destroyed large portions of the city, Governor Francois Louis Hector, Baron De Caarondelet, determined that cinders from chimneys set the wooden shingle roofs on fire. The flames quickley spread amond the closely built wooden houses of the city. governor Carondelet caused new buildings to be built with slate roofs. Slates were imported from cuba and other areas.

Customer:

Captains of sailing fleets brought the slates over and used them and cobblestones for ballast. once here the cobblestones were used in the streets and the slates were cut and used for roofing material. the slates are between 100 and 200 years old

Michelle :

Yes the original roofing slates are old but...... their value is minimum because there are so very many of these painted slates on the market. What makes an item collectible is 1) rarity, the item is hard to find 2) with art it is the popularity of the artist and New Orleans being a transient and poor city has a lot of 'artists' 3) desirability, do people want to purchase the item that you have.

Customer:

so in other words they are of no real value?

Michelle :

I'm sorry but no they don't have any real value. You could put them on eBay with a starting bid of $9.99 USD and see if one would sell at that price. I did see one that sold for $14.99 USD.

Customer:

ok, thanks anyway

Michelle :

If we knew that they were from one of the historic buildings that would make a big difference.

Customer:

that would be hard to find out, lol...but thanks again

Michelle :

yes it would. you are welcome

Customer:

bye michelle

Michelle :

Next time I go down there I will get you some plain tiles.

Customer:

and how would that help?

Michelle :

It probably wouldn't help at all unless I can get one from a historic site. Right now they are trying to replace all of the slate with something more durable because of all the hurricanes.

Customer:

i see, that would be great

Michelle :

As an antique dealer... and cajun... I would love to have a few just to keep.

Michelle :

Maybe put them on my roof.

Michelle :

Have a great day

Customer:

thanks , you too

Michelle
Michelle
Michelle