Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a brilliant cut glass lamp from my grandpa, it came

Customer Question
home with from Chicago in...
I have a brilliant cut glass lamp from my grandpa, it came home with from Chicago in the late 1920's. Perfect condition, stands 24", globe is 36" similar to a mushroom but has a more pointed dome. I am happy to send pictures. It needs a safe environment, I have to many cats and dogs and it can not be on display. Which is sad because it always lived in my grandmother bay windows. I would like to find a buyer who would give my a good price for this family piece. Can you help me?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Antiques
12/15/2010
Antique Expert: C&A Appraisals (Randi), Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 years ago
C&A Appraisals (Randi)
C&A Appraisals (Randi), Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Your brilliant cut lamp if it is very heavy brilliant cut and of a good size (not a small version of the large table lamp), would probably predate 1915. After 1917, few of the brilliant thick blank quality were made, some were but usually by special order. The more intense and dramatic the geometric cutting, the thicker and clearer the blank itself, the more desirable and valuable they are. It is imperative that they be in fine condition. Any chip, crack, or imperfection seriously hurts the value. I have studied cut glass (American) and loved it for many years, the authentic brilliant period lamps are one of the most desirable to collectors and have held their value when generally (due to the frauds flooding the market in the 1980's) cut glass has declined in price from its 1980 highs. Your provenance (family history) is very important as potential purchasers will know it is not a reproduction produced in the 1980s and after. A black light test is always an easy way to tell if anyone has a question about your lamp.
Current prices for really fine examples are $2500-$3500. You should do a quick search on Ruby Lane (rubylane.com) for a lamp currently for sale for $3200. Ruby Lane is a market you can enter yourself, anyone can be a dealer and sell at a set price. I am long familiar with the site and recommend it. Tias and Go Antiques are other options if you want to sell your lamp at a more retail price. Ebay and internet auctions will probably only net you/3 to 1/2 of the retail sites. An area dealer will also offer you from $1/3-1/2 of its value. You can post it on Craig's List, or go to the Brilliant Cut Glass Association and post on their site (an excellent way to reach serious collectors). Also check out "Antique Arts" online as they have a fine example for you to compare yours with listed at $2995.00. If you sell it have it professionally packaged and insured. The buyer usually pays for that or you can offer free shipping as a bonus to help sell the lamp as the current market is definitely a 'buyers' market. My best, Randi

If you are satisfied with your answer, please click on the accept button as that is the only way the expert gets credited and compensated for his/her work.

C&A Appraisals (Randi)
Thank you for your time. This is a big help.
C&A Appraisals (Randi)
C&A Appraisals (Randi)