Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

I have over 17,000 contacts on my Android (Samsung Note 4 -

Customer Question
At&t) in 3 gmail accounts...
I have over 17,000 contacts on my Android (Samsung Note 4 - At&t) in 3 gmail accounts that are slowing down my phone, but I don't want to have to wade through them - I'm looking for an app (or way) that I can keep most of these contacts in the background (except for a few hundred) and have an option to automatically search this separate database if a contact I'm looking for is not found... and add it on the spot to my contact list.
My ultimate goal is to just SPEED UP MY NOTE 4 by getting most of these contacts off my phone but still easily recalling them in case I need one.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Android Devices
3/8/2018
Android Device Expert: Rusty Rescue, Technician replied 1 month ago
Rusty Rescue
Rusty Rescue, Technician

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

There isn't an app that is smart enough to get rid of your contacts that you don't want, and just keep the ones you want. You'll need to go through them, but you don't have to do so on your phone.

First, let's back up your contacts so you have a copy:

Click here. On the left, click more, then select EXPORT. This will export the .csv file that you can later access with CSV Viewer from the Google Play Store.

Now you can edit and delete the contacts you don't want. It will sync with your phone, and you'll be able to clean up your list. On the left, on the bottom, click SWITCH TO OLD VERSION. This will put a check box next to each contact. You can check the ones you don't want, then delete them all at once.

You also have a selection on the left that says DUPLICATES. Click that, then at the top right, select MERGE ALL. This will clean up your list significantly, since you have so many contacts.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for trying... I'm quite proficient with Gmail contacts: know how to backup, delete, eliminate duplicates, etc. Do you know how to do what I'm asking?

I see what you're trying to do, and shrinking your list is the only way to use your current app. You can try a few different phone apps. Click here. This is a third party app, but you'll still have the phone running in the background waiting for an incoming call, so it may or may not work.

The trick to not slowing your phone is to organize your contacts. I know this will be quite a task, but if you move your unused contacts into another contact folder, it won't slow your phone down. You'll be able to keep your most used contacts in your main folder, which is always accessible. If that folder gets cluttered, that's what slows down a phone. If you keep that folder clean, and use best practice when storing new contacts, you shouldn't have to go through this again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Drupe is an interesting app, but doesn't look like it keeps an active list of contacts and a passive list that can be recalled.
I like your suggestion to create a separate folder...
How do I move my unused contacts to another folder and how to I retrieve them into my used contacts if I want them back in?

You can always move your contacts around as you wish in Google Contacts on your computer. If you ever want to move your contacts into your main contact folder, just move it from the folder where it is stored, into the main folder. You can also access it by selecting the contact folder where you put it. It works just like a folder on your computer, you can have sub folders within folders as well.

Take a look at the illustration below. In the OLD VERSION, put a check mark next to the contacts you wish to move into a folder. Click the drop down menu, illustrated with the red arrow below. Select the folder you wish to move them to, and un-check CONTACTS. Click apply. This will move the contact to the folder, and it will be out of your primary contacts. To move them back to contacts, open the folder where they are stored, use the drop down menu, and make sure CONTACTS is selected, and click apply. This will move your contacts back to your main folder.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't see the illustration, but understand. If I move the contacts to a subfolder will my Note 4 still find them?
If so, won't that slow my phone down? All this is assuming that if I have a few hundred contacts instead of 17K my phone will speed up noticeably... is this true?

It should speed it up quite a bit. The same happens when you have too many icons on your desktop on your computer. Once you put them in folders, it clears up the platform to do what it's supposed to do. Your contact list works the same way, once you stash your contacts in separate folders, it should speed up significantly.

I apologize for the illustration, here it is.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Rusty,
I appreciate your help, but before I spend the dozens of hours it will take to put my contacts in folders I need more than a "...should speed up...". What I'm really looking for is to move all my contacts to a background list of vcards, then whenever I search for a contact (in google/gmail) that is not found, it would ask if I want to look through the vcards. If found it would move/add/restore all that specific contact's info to my phone/gmail contacts. Anything functionally similar will work, but I'm not sure the sub-folders you're suggesting is my solution... are you sure it will work?
Android Device Expert: Harry, IT replied 1 month ago
Harry, IT

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
still need help. . Can you see my previous conversations with the other tech that was trying to help me?

Yes, I can.

I am not aware of any app or program that will do what you are asking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Harry, okay. Can you open up my question to someone who might?

Sure -- I am pretty sure it is not available

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Harry, you are probably right but I'm sure there must be a app that keeps contacts totally separate from the phone's and google's contact list.

You're welcome -- Hopefully someone else can chime in with something that works for you

Android Device Expert: Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer replied 1 month ago
Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I would love to help you with your question.While I am unaware of such an app, I am sure one could be written. (I have done some Android development).However, I have another idea that might solve your problem.What if you create a 2nd Gmail account for your secondary or 3rs for tertiary contacts?That would allow you to leverage Googles infrastructure and have everything backed up and not require any custom Android development efforts.While this may not be precisely the solution you are looking for, it may help you to reduce your digital clutter and still preserve information.Also, you mention that you are using a Note 4. I personally upgraded to the a note 7 before the recall and now have an S8+. If you are unhappy with the performance of your device, I highly recommend an S8 or higher if you can stomach losing the swappable battery. I find my battery life is so far very great, but your mileage may vary.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Benjamin,
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought of that as well, but since I can't wade through 17k emails in less than 20 hours day I need to put all the emails in another account that will automatically be searched and moved over when I search for a contact... After a year or so I could use your suggestion but gmail doesn't have a quick way to share contacts between accounts on my phone. Maybe I'm just projecting, but I'm guessing lots of people have thousands of old contacts that are slowing down their devices... Do you have any interest in creating one?

So I actually created a 2nd gmail account back in 2009 when I got my first smartphone, a Motorola Droid from Verizon. I knew I wouldn't want my phone to do the annoying "Drrrrooooiiidd" thing every time I got an email, but I wanted to know if I got an important email. So I setup a 2nd account to forward to my first account and on my first account I did the "skip the inbox" option for these forwarded messages so I could search through them if I wanted but my phone's notification wouldn't go off. Since then, Google has added support for multiple gmail accounts on an Android phone. That's worked well for me, but everyone's use cases are different.

I have a gmail account that was from beta and I have only ever deleted a handful of emails and I've signed up for almost every loyalty program for a store I've set foot in, so I get hundreds of emails a day - and I never delete them. So 17k emails isn't a lot if they are stored on Google's servers.

Now, rumors are that they are looking at a new phone OS beyond Android, so things may change again. That's part of why I'm hesitant to suggest a custom app since software will need to change if Google changes how they do things.

I seem to recall there is a function where anyone you get an email from adds a contact to your contacts - if you have that turned on, I would imagine you likely do have an awful lot of contacts. You could turn that off if that's what's causing it.

Could you describe exactly what you are trying to do and maybe I can come up with a better plan for you?

I'm just curious - do you have a use case that requires you to have thousands of contacts on your gmail account? If so, I'd think that would be a business account and then you'd want a separate account for personal - and then I feel like we'd back at my first suggestion.

If that's the case, you could export your contacts as a csv file and then import them into the other account - that wouldn't be too painful and it should be a one-time thing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Benjamin,
Thanks for the response... I mistyped in my last response to you... I accidentally said emails instead of contacts so the correct problem is :
I can't wade through 17k contacts so I need to start fresh with no contacts and put the 17k contacts in another account that will automatically be searched and moved over when I search for a contact and it is not found... gmail doesn't have a quick way to share contacts or vcards between accounts on my phone. Maybe I'm just projecting, but I'm guessing lots of people have thousands of old contacts that are slowing down their devices... or is the truth that many contacts DON'T slow down my note 4 and if so... what IS slowing down my note 4?!

So I don't have anywhere near 17k contacts on my device, but I did do some research and I don't see how that would slow your device down.

Like I said before, I have a Note 4 and upgrading REALLY helped my performance. However, I'm very much a power user and have a LOT of apps installed that do many things in the background. It IS a dirty secret in the software world that software developers tend to write programs that require a little bit more and more memory and faster processors and more storage.

However, I totally understand if you are happy with the Note 4 and don't want to upgrade except for this annoying issue. We have two options to try to pin down the performance issues:

1) Try to identify the app(s) and settings for the app(s) causing this issue

2) Factory reset the device - that will make the device almost as if it is brand new, except it will retain any updates to the OS from when you bought the phone.

Which route would you like to go? The advantage of the first one is there is no need to reset up apps or backup any data, the advantage of the second it is MUCH easier to find the problem.

I will be happy to help you with either route.

Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson