Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

I have Samsung note 5. I just backed up the phone using

smartswitch. Here's the question. How...
I have Samsung note 5. I just backed up the phone using smartswitch. Here's the question. How do i open the contacts file ending in .spba? Kies does not work, not compatible or something.
1/19/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Kies should be able to open a .SPBA file... but maybe only if it was created in Kies.

So... have you tried File - Contacts, then selected the .SPBA file?

Another hint as to how to do this: use the original version of Kies, Kies 3 cannot open a Samsung-phone-originated .SPBA file. Or, use the very latest version of Kies, perhaps, also... that might work better than an intermediate version # / release of the Kies app.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i tried kies 2.6 but no kies will recognize the note 5 phone when attached to the usb drive. This really is frustrating. Its ridiculous that you cant just backup and open the file like you can the phones and videos. When clicking on file it says windows dont recognize .spba files. My research says use older version of Kies to open and save files as whatever. Phone wont connect with Kies. I figured you might have a real answer.

Does the computer itself recognize the Samsung when connected by USB? If it is a Windows PC, look for the Samsung phone as a disk drive icon and disk drive letter, in

ThisPC

(or on older Windows, in START - Computer)

- is it there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its there. I transferred my photos, video, and contacts with smart switch

Good. Try version 1.5.3 of Samsung Kies. It's near the bottom of this page:

http://www.oldapps.com/samsung_kies.php

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
no that site and many others would not let me download 1.5, with ad blocker off. Any other ideas?

I admit I have no further idea as to how to get the file read in. Other sources of lower-version Kies might be sought, but I have searched for them already. I am turning this case over to any other Expert in this category who might be able to help further with it, by Opting Out, and opening the case to other Experts.

Harry, IT

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I would think that this is a common problem for all samsung smart switch users.

This is not a common problem because rarely does the user want to open the .SPBA file.

May I ask why you need to open it?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
because i want to read or edit the contacts on my laptop. So are you saying that .spba files or contacts once downloaded into your pc are not suppose to be read?

The files are suppose to be read on the device; not on a computer.

The backing up of the file on your computer is used as a backup option then you would load it back onto the device to restore them.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok that makes sense. i just wanted to make sure the file transferred to the computer in case i lost the phone. now i can move on to other things. thanks

You're welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Harry, IT
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
great. 5 stars
Harry, IT