Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

How to stop apps from automatic start-up and to stop & keep…

Customer Question
How to stop apps from...
How to stop apps from automatic start-up and to stop & keep them from starting again after closed? Do new smart phones have a built-in way to manage which apps start-up automatically when the phone is powered on? If so, where is that built-in setting / adjustment found? (Mine is a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4). I've downloaded apps on a previous phone that claimed to turn off apps in the background but found those apps still restarted so I'm looking for an update on app killing apps to download that are more current and will be effective at keeping those apps turned off unless specifically activated to turn on. Solutions? Recommendations?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Android Devices
1/7/2018
Android Device Expert: Harry, IT replied 1 month ago
Harry, IT

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still looking for an answer to my question, Thank you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You directed me to TechniPages.com where it recommended installation of StartUp Manager -- which I did. But I experienced the same problem that one of the first TechniPages responders (Denise) had: The typeface of the programs on my smartphone listed in StartUp Manager is so small, it cannot be read, nor can it be seen how to turn the automatic starting of these programs off or on. Like Denise, I too have tried to find a way to expand that typeface in StartUp Manager but nothing seems to work. Before trying to direct me how you think expanding the text might be done, be sure you have downloaded StartUp Manager yourself and know what the problem is and how to fix it -- please don't just guess. There are other alternative fixes suggested by responders in the comments section of that TechniPages advisory you sent me to, but did you intend for me to try one of those alternative fixes instead of the primary recommendation for StartUp Manager? More guidance from you is needed beyond listing just a link to an article that makes suggestions, with that supposedly giving the customer "the best experience possible" (as your stated goal), and worthy of the 5 star rating you seek. I'm looking for customized advice -- not a stock reference off the shelf in the form of just a link to an article I have to decipher and troubleshoot myself. What is your advice?

Did you try the first option?

1. Open “Settings” > “Applications” > “Application Manager“.
  2. Choose the app you wish to freeze.
  3. Select “Turn off” or “Disable“.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PS -- JustAnswers has had a problem with under-reporting the number of ratings and average number of ratings stars of the Certified Experts who respond to customers' / subscribers' questions, and it may be some glitch with their software or platform. For you, my screen shows you have 17 ratings to date with an average of 4 out of 5 stars. If you have more than 17 ratings to date over JustAnswers or a higher average than 4 stars, you should consult with JustAnswers to have them fix this problem as under-reporting you (as they have other Certified Experts) can impact your subsequent ratings as well as repeat business via customers who might choose you as one of their Favorite Experts -- or not -- based on low ratings count or average ratings. FYI.

Did you try the first option?

2. Choose the app you wish to freeze.
  3. Select “Turn off” or “Disable“.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have directed me to stop each program on my phone individually. Seriously? There are 122 programs on my phone I would have to stop individually, taking several seconds to stop each one, and I would not know whether I was stopping a program critical to the functioning of other programs needed for basic functionality of my phone. StartUp Manager has the right idea in being able to stop programs more quickly in a group setting versus individually -- but I can't use StartUp Manager if I can't even read the typeface of the programs it is offering to autostop. Another solution?

Unfortunately, those are the only two options (disabling them manually or using the StartUp Manager)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually, there are other programs besides StartUp Manager which turn off unwanted programs and supposedly keeps them from restarting unless specifically directed to start -- and one of them would be Advanced Task Manager. There are others. Adjust your knowledge base as an "expert" in this field if you are not aware that alternatives exist beyond one app (StartUp Manager) or manually turning off every app. In this case, I am advising you versus the other way around but I do wish advice from someone who knows more about turning off apps and KEEPING them off than what you or I know, so please release my question to another expert who can advise beyond your 2 solutions (which are not acceptable because the text in StartUp Manager is too small to read, or the alternative takes too long to take several steps to individually close over 100 apps, one at a time). I am seeking for advice beyond my solution as well since Advanced Task Manager fails to KEEP apps from restarting after a few minutes of being closed. Is there an app which can close unwanted / unnecessary apps and KEEP them off UNTIL they may be manually turned on / activated? New Expert -- Please advise.

OK

Harry, IT