Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

Why do earphones have to be plugged into an android

Customer Question
smartphone in order for a...
Why do earphones have to be plugged into an android smartphone in order for a local FM radio app to work? Is that because the earphones function as an antennae and without them, the FM reception would be so poor, the app would not work? Do most radio apps for android smart phones work this way? Or do some work without the need for earphones to be plugged into the smartphone? And if something must be plugged into the smartphone to act as an antennae for a radio app to work, are there alternative plug-ins that are shorter and less tedious than a set of floppy earphones 2 or 3 feet long?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Android Devices
1/3/2018
Android Device Expert: Ronald Brock,
 replied 4 months ago
Ronald Brock
Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today. Can you please provide me with the name of the app you are using and the make and model of your phone please so I may troubleshoot your issues. Thanks.
Android Device Expert: Ronald Brock,
 replied 4 months ago

are you still needing assistance with your issues?

Still in need of assistance. One moment while I collect the info you request....
The app is simply called "Radio" and I believe came installed on this smart phone which is an Alcatel One-Touch Pixie 3 with 4.5" screen. The icon is a blue square with a circle of dots in the middle representing the speaker of a radio device. Note that it is for receipt of LOCAL FM radio stations only and unlike other radio apps, does not connect to internet for internet radio reception. It does require the plug-in of earphones for reception of local FM signals but will play over the phones external speakers when that option is chosen. The app will disconnect, however, if the earphone plug is pulled out. If indeed the earphone wires are functioning as an antennae, then are there not shorter or better input devices than earphones which would function as an antennae? This smart phone must have a tuner inside so are there apps which require only a tuner for local radio reception but not a separate plug-in of earphones or other antennae device?
Android Device Expert: Ronald Brock,
 replied 4 months ago

sorry for the delay in your answer, but here is what I have found.

https://www.ebay.com/i/331890697036?chn=ps

This may work for your device, but it all depends on if your phone will see that if you plug this into your headphone jack, it may still want to send the audio thru the headphone jack since there will be something plugged into it. There may be settings in the app or in the phone settings to force it to play thru the phone speakers but unfortunately i could not find any information to support that.

another option you might be able to try is to use a 3.5mm that will connect your phone to an external speaker, the copper in the wire will still work in the same fashion, but still give you audio thru the external speaker.

Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock