Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

I have a ZTE z963vl I purchased at Walmart with a straight…

Customer Question
I have a ZTE...

I have a ZTE z963vl I purchased at Walmart with a straight talk plan. I have gave since moved the phone to a Verizon plan yet I am not able to negotiate a app for tethering. Really the reason I went to Verizon. Any thoughts?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

Android 5.1.1 ZTE v963vl

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your smartphone? What have you tried so far?

Just moved to Verizon yesterday. Tried downloading apps they did. Not work

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Android Devices
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/8/2017
Android Device Expert: Harry, IT replied 4 months ago
Harry, IT

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Have you checked with Verizon? Some plans do not allow tethering.

My understanding with the prepaid option they have hotspot available

Did you speak to them about it? You mentioned "my understanding" which means that you are interpreting the plan.

I know my phone is a straight talk phone and I thought most likely that they had some way of not allowing tethering with this device.

That is possible. Did you speak with them?

Not directly. The tech who moved my plan over did not know much about the plan. Should I call them first?

Yes, because it is likely that your account cannot do tethering either through the plan or phone.

I will speak to them and confirm with you later.

OK thanks

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Okay I went to the Verizon call center and it's said that I have hotspot available with my prepaid program. That there was no software needed as long as my phone had the hotspot capabilities

You spoke with Verizon that quickly? That is impressive. Normally, it takes a while.

Did you speak to an actual person?

No. It was a pre recorded message

Please speak to an actual person

I talked with a technician and she confirmed that the tethering option is available and is on my account currently. We did notice that in normal cases you can go to the menu page and be able to turn on Hotspot on your networks page but I don't have that available on mine. So that is why I'm contacting you

If it is available on your plan then it is not a function on your phone itself.

Is that a ?

No, that was a statement.

there is. No way to tether this phone?

The phone itself should have the option to tether under Settings then Tethering and Mobile Hotspot

If you don't see that option then it cannot tether.

But I thought I was talking to a ZTE expert someone who knows the phones inside and out and that there's a work around it.
Okay so I'm dissatisfied I'll make sure that I get a refund. To ask a question you had me go to someplace else and ask the question that person told me what I needed to do. And you just confirmed it without doing anything. Thanks for your time
Harry, IT