Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

Many times I get a graph instead of the text that was sent…

Customer Question
Many times I get...

Many times I get a graph instead of the text that was sent to me. Just recently it kept happening with the same sender. This has happened several times in the past. Always with people I know intimately. What is going on.?!.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone?

LG. it is a verizon cell phone.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your LG phone? What have you tried so far?

Almost a year. I have tried nothing. Am technology impaired. Have talked to both my sons concerning this. They had no idea what was happening or how to fix it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

I do not always receive pictures when they are sent. It is a very simple cell phone.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Android Devices
Answered in 1 day by:
11/30/2017
Android Device Expert: Richard, Android Specialist replied 4 months ago
Richard, Android Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

What exactly do you see on the Graph?

Please let me know

A lot of boxes.
I have already paid $18 for an answer. While this problem is very very annoying I do not want to spend another $20. I am 71 years old and live on Social Security.
Are you going to help me or not. Have been waiting for quite awhile now.

My apologies, it was a few days before you replied and I was not online.

Can you please hold the power button until you see a menu and choose power off.

Then power on the phone and tell me how it then functions please

I have powered my phone off many times. Just did it now as you asked too. The graph(s) do not show up on every message. When it happens it is usually for the for whole conversation. The most recent time was on Tuesday, November 28, 2017, three days ago. Six text messages showed up from my daughter-in-law. I initiated the conversation with her, thanking her for my birthday gifts. I do not know what else to tell you.

Is it only happening with one sender in particular?

No. It has happened with at least 5 people, all relatives of mine so far. It is very annoying.

Please tell me the model of the LG phone

Where do I find that?

Depends on the model but usually on the back, or where the battery goes or the packaging

There is nothing on the back and I do not know how or where to find the battery. The packaging is long gone. It was only a plastic bag. My son bought it for me.

Can you go to settings, Applications Manager, look under the list for all apps.

Locate Messages, press it then press clear cache not data, then restart and tell me how it then performs.

I do not find any of those titles anywhere. Have been into Settings & Tools. This is a very simple phone. Since I am technologically challenged my oldest son thought it would be best for me.

ok, I think they are sending you characters then you cannot see on a simple phone such as smiley faces, pictures of things ect known as emotijon, and your phone being a simple one cannot show this, it sounds like the most logical cause but the only way to confirm this is a full reset of the phone, this will though remove all your personal data and return the phone to new, but it is the only way to confirm this.

As I do not know the model, you will need to look in the settings for the option to reset the phone, if it asks you for a pin you use your normal pin of if you have none then 4x zero (0000)

Then setup the phone and test. But if it is a simple phone it looks like it cannot display characters intended for a full smart phone, though this will confirm this.

Richard, Android Specialist