Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

Will expanding the storage capacity of a smart phone with a

Customer Question
microSD card expand the phone's...
Will expanding the storage capacity of a smart phone with a microSD card expand the phone's ability to store downloads of apps and programs? Or are the microSD cards for storage of static files like pictures and data only but for programs or apps? Is the microSD card for external memory which cannot be used to store apps? And to increase a smart phone's ability to store more apps, must it's internal memory be expanded (if that can be done)...? I purchased a microSD card for my android and thought it would help store more apps but when I tried to download a new app, it gave the error message that the phone had insufficient memory for new apps, even though the additional space from the microSD card showed 32 gigabytes of available space. But is that the wrong kind of memory for apps? How do I upgrade this phone to store more apps, if that is possible? (Specs for this phone will be attached in an upload file to this question.)
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Android Devices
11/17/2017
Android Device Expert: Ashik, Android Tech replied 27 days ago
Ashik, Android Tech

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm sorry. No, adding or upgrading the SD card will not expand the phone's internal storage. Most of all apps requires space on internal storage for them work. However, some of the apps will support files from external storage. Also, the Camera app usually allow you to take photos and videos directly to the SD phone.

The microSD card is mainly to store photos and videos (and some other documents and stuffs).

There are some third party applications out there that allow you to move apps from internal storage to external card. Open App Store, search for app named App2SD or Move2SD etc. Install them and use them to move apps to SD card. Note that, not all apps allow you to move data to SD card. So this may not work for you, but it is worth a try.

You may need to delete some unwanted apps or move your files from Gallery to the microSD card to install the mentioned apps.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ashik, Android Tech