Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

How come I can't get 4g on my network on my Galaxy 6s. Can…

How come I can't...

How come I can't get 4g on my network on my Galaxy 6s. Can another program conflict with network? I checked on the coverage in my area and it is excellent. I only get three bars and the 4G at the top is dark. thanks, Roger

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It is a Galaxy 6S around a year and half old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Ever since I changed the sim card and went from Verizon to Consumer Cellular which has adequate 4G in my area.

10/20/2017
Richard, Android Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Other programms will not conflict with this.

Above the 3 bars, what text do you see there? eg: 3G, E ?

Please let me know

Nothing is showing

Are you getting an internet connection on the phone?

Go to settings, Networks and turn off wifi

Do you then get a connection? And what does it then say?

I had one bar and lost internet 3g and 4g was not lit on top line

How do you know you get 4G reception in the area?

As this shows no reception

I looked at the coverage in the area and the Galaxy 6s is a 4g phone. I was getting 4g coverage when I was under contract with Verizon. When I switched to ConsumerCellular I lost reception. They sent me to Target to change my SIM card from a mobile SIM card to an AT&T SIM card
I called Verizon and they told me that they do not lock their 4g phones.
I switched out the SIM card from T Mobile to AT&T SIM card. Neither SIM card affected the signal.

Yes thats correct,

But if you get no 4G there then it means where you are at the monent, you do not have reception.

The reception is different per providers but generally about the same, and yes the S6 is 4G compatable, but the issue is that of reception.

I talked to Verizon and they stayed nothing was wrong on their end and ConsumerCellular stated they are fine on their end.
I also went outside and it didn't make a difference.

The only thing you can do if you really feel reception is not the cause is to reset your phone.

This will delete all the data from it and return it to new, so backup your data first please

Then go to settings, backup and reset, factory data reset.

Perform the reset and once done, tell me how it then performs please

What is the easiest way to back up my data?

Which data do you need to back up?

Contacts and calendar

That are likley backed up online

Go to www.gmail.com

Sign in there with your Gmail account

Then click on Gmail top left and contacts

Then for calendar, click on the 9 dots top right then calendar

If you see them there they are backed up

I Don't use Gmail

The phone is linked to your Gmail account, you are forced to make one when you first setup your phone, else you are not able to set it up

I'll look in my files

Thank you

Are you still there?

yes

I was able to recover my gmail account. I'll het into it and try what you asked.

Thank you

Hello Richard non of my calendar or contacts were sabed
Saved
Is there another option?

You will need to use an app for your contacts called Superbackup from the app store, then email the backup file to yourself.

For the calendar this you cannot save sorry

Cam I attach the phone to my desk top and save both files?

Not the calendar, and with the backup file you are best to just email it to yourself

Richard let's call it a night. I'll call consumer cellular in the morning again.Thanks

ok, but I can tell you the issue is that of reception, I deal with this daily and you get some reception meaning it is working, but just not a lot there.

I will mark this question though to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Android Specialist
Can do
Richard, Android Specialist