Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

I get a message "screen overlay detected" and I can't fix…

Customer Question
I get a message...

I get a message "screen overlay detected" and I can't fix it.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

It's an LGVS985 4G LTE

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Approximately a week. I've tried various steps correcting apps using settings and instructions from web searches.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Android Devices
10/18/2017
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago
Jeffrey B

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Lets get started!

I'm so sorry for the extended wait time. Did you still need assistance with your issue?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you still need assistance regarding this problem?

Waiting for your reply,

Kind regards,
Jeff

Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

I understand.

Can you please try the following:

• Open the Settings
  • Tap the magnifying glass at the top right
  • Enter the search term “draw”
  • Tap Draw over other apps
  • Alternative route: Apps> [gear icon]> Draw over other apps

Please let me know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

I've tried that before but I tried it again and it does not solve the problem
Is someone going to call me/eventually or not?
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

I understand.

I am really sorry but I cant do a phone request now.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

do you have clean master installed on the cell phone?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

no
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

I understand.

Do you have an app installed that changes the colors on the display or adjusts the brightness?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

It is possible to adjust the brightness by using a pull-down menu at the top of the home screen. I'm not aware of the ability to change the colors
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

There are apps like: twilight that adjust the brightness for you.

These could be the cause.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

That doesn't make sense as this problem only started recently and the brightness adjustment has been on the phone from the start of its use.
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

Understood.

When we go to these steps in this link:http://www.gadgetraid.com/2016/10/screen-overlay-detected/

Are we able to disable this then?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

I must be doing something wrong or this problem is more involved as I can't seem to correct it.
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

I understand.

When are you getting this error message? When opening a app?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

specifically on the CONTACTS app.It says "cannot access-storage" and then says go to setting at which time it says Screen overlay detected. It also lists the following apps: Calendar; Phone; SMS; Storage; and your location. Storage and Your location are in the "off" position under App Permissions (the name of the screen being referred to). If I tap on Storage for example, a pop up the Permissin setting has to be changed to "off" but it is already in off.
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

I understand.

This has to do with access rights of your contacts app.

This should be yes.

Are you able to go to your app: contacts and check the sec. rights?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

I'm not sure what you mean. Am I going to get a phone call or not as I think it would be easier. Otherwise why did I agree to pay $20?
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

I understand,

I am really sorry but I am not able to do a phone call now. this will not be credited.

the CONTACTS app.It says "cannot access-storage" it has no rights to access your local memory on the cell phone.

from settings>>apps>>contacts>>right upper corner show security.

Can you adjust the security from there?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

no security is listed - there are no buttons in the upper corner
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

Have you openen the contacts app? From there the upper corner.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

it lists the following: Storage, Data, Permissions, Notifications, Open by default, Battery and Memory. At the top is says "Force Stop" with the above below. There are no buttons or anything in the upper right corner
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

Great!

When you go into permissions, are you able to adjust these?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

I can turn them on or off. Right now "Storage" and" Your Location" are in the off position but when I try to turn them on or off , it refers me back to settings and says "Screen overlay detected"
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

Can you try to turn off touch assistant?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

I don't have any more time to mess with this today. I paid for a phone call. If someone is not going to call me, I want my money refunded. You.ve been helpful, but we are not getting the problem solved.
Android Device Expert: Jeffrey B,
 replied 8 months ago

I understand.

Sorry to read this.

The phone call is not accepted so will not be credited.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey