Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

I have android phone with android version 4.0. The time on…

i have android phone with...
i have android phone with android version 4.0. The time on the clock is off and i can't figure out how to change it. The card contains no SIM card but not sure if that matters?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2017
Richard, Android Specialist

Hi there and welcome

The time is set automatically from the network and having no SIM card will stop this from happening.

But we can see if it can be set manually.

Can you tell me the make and model of the phone please?

battery just died on the phone i'll charge it and let you know ASAP

Thank you

LG Motion-MS770 with Android version 4.0.4

Thanks

To do this

From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
Tap Settings.
Tap Date and time.
If necessary, tap to clear the Automatic check box.
Tap Set date.
Tap the Plusand Minusicons to set the current date.
Tap Set.
Tap Set time.
Tap the Plus and Minus icons to set the time.
Tap Set.
Tap to select or clear the Use 24-hour format check box.
Tap Select date format.
Tap one of the following options:
MM/DD/YYYY
DD/MM/YYYY
YYYY/MM/DD

Let me know how you go please.

I ran into roadblock at the Date & Time part as there is no set time and date or automatic box that can be checked or unchecked. Are you sure it is doable with 4.0.4?

The specifications say so, but if it is not there then skip that step

I don't think it's doable, skipping that step doesn't enable me to change the time. I wonder if there's an app that works that doesn't require root access?
the video relates to changing gmail account, the written instructions below it are what you sent me. For some reason it's not going to work on my phone as i don't have the functionality to do it by the looks of it. If you know of an app that can help me let me know
that article is from Nov 2014, perhaps software updates removed that functionality

Ok, then it has been removed, I was suspicious of this when you set the auto time box was gone.

It needs to be online, but do you have it connected to wifi?

connected to wifi

ok, then the only thing left is to attempt a factory reset

Do you have data on the phone not backed up?

there is nothing to back up so no issue there and i know how to reset. My questions are: 1) if i reset now which time zone will it use and 2) if i take the phone to a different country will it pick up the local time in which case i'm back to square one?

1) The phone use to default to asking you that when you set it up for the first time, so if it asks then you can set it else you will get the zone it was created in (usually China)

2) Not without a cell connection no it wont as the cell towers tell it where it is

Richard, Android Specialist
ok thanks bye