Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

What is a super user and what is the purpose of it

Customer Question
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Android Devices
10/12/2017
Android Device Expert: Math-Stat,
 replied 4 months ago
Math-Stat

It is a user account with privilege levels far beyond those of most user accounts.
It is also a network system administrator. Its purpose is for platform management functions but it's necessary to control and oversee them.

What can a super user do. Dumb it down alittle
In an adroid phone
Android Device Expert: Math-Stat,
 replied 4 months ago

can you kindly accept the small offer below?

Android Device Expert: Richard, Android Specialist replied 4 months ago
Richard, Android Specialist

Hi there

Sorry your question was in the wrong category, you are now being answered by the correct expert.

A super user on an Android phone refers to when the phone is rooted which allows for access to system files via the Superuser app

It is not something recommended as it will void your warranty, but to do some things it is nessesary.

Why do you need it for?

Please let me know

I don't need it what could be done if you did know how to use it corre ctly .. how can you tell if a super user was doing something to your phone.

You can access all system files on the phone, this is the whole reason for it.

To check if you have it done, go to the play store and install the Root Checker app, run it and if your phone is rooted (it tells you this) then it is done

But to do it, someone needs physical access to your phone, a good technical skillset and about 2 hours.

It cannot be done remotley or secretly.

Let's say my phone is rooted what then what could be done to the phone.

You could remove the Root to stop further access, though remember, this access is not done remotley but directly on the phone

what would be the point of rooting someone else s phone. Would there be special files collecting info or would that give a super user remote access

Some apps require it, eg apps to speed up the processor on the device so it runs faster then normal.

Why would my wife want to root my phone what would she gain access to that she would need to hide the fact that she is a super user

She may want to monitor your phone, install an app that records all your messages, phone calls ect.

These apps also require root access.

How can I find out what she has put in the phone or what she is looking at
Now also in her phone what could she have in hers I find alot of files with just a ? On them
In any new phone she gets she immediately goes to the play store and downloadss a bunch of stuff. Or it may even appear that she deleted all the apps in the phone then redownload a bunch more

You cannot see this apart from looking at your list of apps and looking for one you did not install then to uninstall it

Could someone with that skill level be able to manipulate apps altogether example. Google maps could ,say , a super user make it appear that they are somewhere else other than what is being shown. Now I know there are apps that do that.

No, as they would need to alter the soure code of the app and that you cannot even read.

They could make a second app to look like Google maps but then there would be two apps and one would not do anything when you pressed it

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Android Specialist