Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

Can I set a different ringtone for all my incoming Google…

Customer Question
Can I set a different...
Can I set a different ringtone for all my incoming Google Voice calls? I have a Galaxy S7
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Android Devices
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Android Device Expert: Richard, Android Specialist replied 7 months ago
Richard, Android Specialist

Hi there and welcome

To do this, Open the Voice app. Menu. Settings. Sync and notifications. Select ringtone.

Let me know how you go please

I have the sequence as you say it, save that I don't have Sync & Notifications

ok, then you press on your account

Press Incomming Calls, then Sound and there you set it for your version

Let me know how you go

My account is already selected, but I don't have the other two options. It seems that you are not looking at the same version of Galaxy or Android or GV. My GV is 5.4.169585865. Android is 7.0. Galaxy S7 version is SM-G930T

I am useing a S7 in front of my to confirm, as there are two possilbe ways.

When you press on your account, it takes you to a new window.

What do you seee when you press on your account?

Yes, so press on your account in the second picture

it takes you to a new window.

If I press my account in the 2nd picture it takes me back to the first one.
Notice there is a drop down arrow to the right of my account in the first pic. Pressing my account opens the drop down menue showing the ther accounts. pressing it again, closes the drop down menu
showing the other accounts....

In the first pic, press settings, what do you then see?

You should see this window

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhvmkk77bnvhaft/Screenshot_20171003-175915.png?dl=0

ok, it is very different yet we have the same phones but on the second pictire you see notification sound, press there to change it please

That is for Notifications not Ringtone. I had tested that and did it again. Ringtone is same as device's.

ok, it reallly looks like an old version of voice, and I do not see any other options for the ring tone, we will try to update it to the version I have which is current.

Open the play store, search for Google Voice and you see Hangouts Dialer which is their new name for it

Update to that

Let me know when you have please

Installed it, went to settings, selected settings, activated Incoming Phone Calls. On incoming Calls above it, I selected Hangouts Call. Then tested it by calling my GV # from another device. The ringtone remains the same as my device's.

Did you though follow my instructions which will now match, to set a different ringtone?

Yiou gave me several instructions, please repeat again

Of course, press the three lines top left, then settings, press on your account, incomming calls, Sound and there you set it

I just wrote to you that s one of the things I did. It doesn't work. Calls to google voice keep ringing with the device's ringtone
By the way the steps you just mentioned are for Hangouts, not GV. GV doesn't have those steps

yes, the steps I am giving are for Hangouts, you so the steps in Hangouts please, thats whyn I had you install hangouts.

I know, as written, I did them, it doesn't work

yes, but you do the steps in Hangouts please.

I did them in hangouts
They can only be done in hangouts as those steps do not exist in GV

yes exactly which is wwhy we insrtalled it, now when someone calls, does it ring in Hangouts?

If not you need to enable hangouts to ring if you did not already

you can do that by doing the steps on my link below

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/6023920?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Then, as Haangouts has a different ring tone, which we just set, it will ring with this new ring tone.

the steps in my device are not exactly as described in your instructions, but I am sure the end point where I need to arrive is the attached and it is as described in your instructions. As you can see and as described before, I have already done that. It still does n't work, as calls to GV ring with the device's ringtone
messages button is now activated and still it doesn't work

Ok, what I think then is happening is that GV takes over the call and as it always uses the default rongtine it does not work, what we need is for Hangouts to take the call, it uses your GV number, but it allows you to set the ring tone.

In the link I gave you

Follow the steps under

Turn on ringing for incoming calls in Hangouts

Once done, Hangouts should ring once you alter the ring tone in the hangouts app via

the three lines top left, then settings, press on your account, incomming calls, Sound and there you set it

If after doing this still it does not work, uninstall Google Voice from the phone as then Hangouts is the only one left to receive the call on your Google Voice number and it should then ring with the ringtone you set in the hangout apps.

Let me know how it goes please

As I have written to you several times, those steps were already made and it still didn't work. Don't you see it done in the last pic I sent you? The only thing left to do was to uninstall GV, which I just did, then tested it. Problem remains, as calls to GV # ring with the device ringtone

Which app shows as ringing once you uininstall GV?

Richard, Android Specialist