Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

OTG card reading issues with Samsung S8. when I try to view…

Customer Question
OTG card reading issues with...
OTG card reading issues with Samsung S8. when I try to view files on the SD card it will delete the dcim file and install new files to the card. I have tried ES file explorer and 3 different brand OTG readers all with the same results. Any ideas why?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Android Devices
9/26/2017
Android Device Expert: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 8 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you. It is possible that your computer is trying to install device drivers for either the card or the card reader. Can you tell me specifically what files it is trying to install? Also, in order to provide the best possible help, I will need to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

Not computer, phone. All issues with android phone.

I see. Since you indicated that you were using card readers, I assumed that you had them connected to a computer. Do you have a computer available?

the cards are readable on my computer with no issue. It is not until I try to view them with an OTG connector to my phone that the files are erased and new files from my phone are installed. the only files on the card are JPEG from a camera. Once the SD is plugged into my phone the jpegs are gone and can no longer be viewed from my computer either.

Thank you for that information. May I ask why you want to view them on the Samsung Galaxy S8? If you just want to transfer certain files from the sd card to your S8, the easiest way to do this is to use your computer to upload the photos to your Google Photos, using the Google account associated with your S8. You can then view them and download selected photos to your phone without needing to connect the card to your phone. Would you like help with that? If so, I will happy to provide detailed instructions. Otherwise, I will need to opt out and open the questions to other experts who may be better able to help with connecting the OTG readers to the phone.

I need to view them while mobile. please place the question back out there.

You'll be notified as soon as another expert begins working on your question. Have a great day!

Android Device Expert: Answers by Eric, Developer replied 8 months ago
Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer

Good afternoon! This is almost always caused by the formatting of the SD card, not being formatted for mobile, and the fact that you're using an OTG reader on the phone. Have you tried using the OTG reader app? Give that a try(see it here) and let me know your results... I will work with you until we find a solution :)

Formatted to FAT32 on a computer. I have downloaded multiple otg reader apps. All have the same result. wipes the dcim and installs a Lost folder, system volume folder and an Android folder. I have checked in all of these for a dcim.

What happens if you put the SD card directly into the phone, not using the portable card reader?

Full size sd card

Am I correct in assuming you're using the full size SD card for a camera?

Why not use a Micro SD card with a Full Size SD card adapter? That way, you put the micro into the full size adapter while it is in the camera, and then remove the micro SD and put it directly into the phone... Also, what is the make/model of the camera?

S8 does not have an sd slot, it is internal. There are multiple cameras. Trail cameras M888 by Moultrie and Wildgame Innovations Cloak 8.

I have an S8 sitting in my hands, and I can remove the SD card and insert different ones. Would you like me to show you images on how to do it, takes about 5 seconds.

I am going to talk to a few other Android developers and see what their thoughts are as well, on the issue you are having, but it seems to just be a compatibility issue with using the OTG reader and the S8. That's why I am suggesting you use the micro SD in a full size adapter in the camera.

You can see it here. You can use a small paperclip or anything small enough to eject the tray, then you just need to put in the SD card.

Here is an actual picture of the S8 open with the SD card.

That option is not practical for its intended use in the middle of the woods. Same issue with my S6.

Alright, well as I said I am going to bring this up to a few other developers I work with and see why it would be doing it. For now I will open this up in case someone else knows, but I will reply back when I get an answer.