Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

S7 edge: black screen of death. 89% charge. will not power

s7 edge: black screen of death. 89% charge. will not power off because black and tough screen doesn't appear to work when I guess the button location. phone 2 weeks old, new, replacement under warranty.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 2 weeks. just received back from asurion.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: reading online, set it down, picked it up 10 minutes later and black screen. Never happened before. Occurred this morning. Have tried rebooting and reset.
JA: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks.

Hey there! my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I will do all I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions as quickly as possible. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• The offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept a request for one if you wish, but you do not have to.
  • Please keep this browser open, so that we do not lose contact. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will continue helping you until your question is 100% answered, please ask as many follow up questions as you want to.

Does your LED light still flash, indicating messages/notifications, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also sound notifications.

Ok, I want you to reboot into Safe Mode to see if still happens. If it does, then the issue is more serious and we need to take different steps.

1. Press and hold the Power key for up to a minute and the phone will turn off.
  2. Nows press and hold the power key again
  3. As soon as you can see the ‘Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE’ on the screen, release the Power key and immediately hold the Volume Down key.
  4. Continue holding the Volume Down button until the device finishes rebooting.
  5. You may release it when you can see ‘Safe mode’ in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
held power button down for over a minute and will not turn off. blue led still flashes.

Alright, try holding the Power button and the Home button down for up to a minute. Even if this issue is happening, the phone itself should shut down when you hold down the power button, it's built into the hardware itself, nothing to do with the software/OS.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
again, will not shut off. have tried each example multiple times before contacting you all. blue led continues to flash.

It's ok, we still have options, some just more complicated than others. Try to turn it off again one more time, with the volume down button and the power button, together.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I previously removed the SD card. And reinserted just the sim card. nothing changed. will try the volume down and power again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will not shut off. blue led flashes.

The next option, is to use a program on the PC to flash the phones firmware. However, we can only do that if you have connected and used the phone and the PC together before. Have you ever synced the phone to your PC, do you have the Samsung software/drivers installed, etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
don't remember synced phone and pc. have windows 10. happy to try anything.

Alright. You're going to try and use a program called ADB to reboot the phone. If that will not work, then the only other option is letting the phone's battery completely run out, and then charging it back to 100%. Give me a moment to put together your instructions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
does it matter if the SD card is installed?
  1. Go to this link and download SDK Platform Tools for Windows
  2. Unzip the file and look for the adb program but don't run it yet
  3. Plug your phone into your PC using the same cable you use to charge it, the one that came with it. If you don't have it, any decent USB cable should work
  4. The PC should recognize your phone being plugged in
  5. Now run the adb program
  6. In the adb program, type: adb devices
  7. Hit enter.
  8. If it lists a device connected to your PC, then we can continue and we can flash new firmware to the phone. If not, then we need to let the battery die, so you can reboot it into Safe Mode. If that is the case, DO NOT try and turn it on like normal after it dies and you charge it, come back here and follow the steps to get into Safe Mode and reply to me again. I am here every day.

Please take two seconds to rate my service before you leave today at the top of this page. Remember it is my service you are rating and nothing else. If you feel my service has been anything but excellent, or you have follow up questions, please let me know before rating :)

Bookmark this link to ask me questions directly in the future: http://bit.ly/AnswersByEric

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks. I will try the adb solution now.

Ok no problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Eric, link not working. Went to SDK and loaded the tools for windows. unzipped it. however the program will not run. When I hit OPEN a large dialogue box flashes quickly and then nothing. Have deleted all and have tried multiple times to start over and same ending. Phone is recognized and connected after I unzip the files. ADB program just won't run. Also didn't see any link to rate the service.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe I should use my android tablet and try? Don't know that it will recognize the phone since it is a wifi tablet only.

I am going to get you a different ADB file, that one might not be working for you for some strange reason.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you. And I couldn't find an sdk platform to use with my android pro tablet. Will wait for you. thanks again.

Download the file from my Mega folder here.

1. Run the file as administrator (right click and choose)
2. Press Y/Yes to install ADB and Fastboot or N/No to skip
3. Press Y/Yes to install ADB system-wide or N/No for current user only
4. Press Y/Yes to install Drivers or N/No to skip
5. Continue Driver installation
6. 15 seconds passed - finished!

Now try running it again and checking for connected devices.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Eric, after Mega installed and finished. What do I RUN again? When I run the api setup from Mega it goes through and asks me the same questions. Is there an adb somewhere else downloaded?

Look in your C: drive for an ADB folder. You will then find an adb program inside to run.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Eric, I cannot answer my cell phone although it does ring. The touchscreen is black and the screen doesn't seem to react to any guesses where the answer button is located. You can call my home phone at(###) ###-#### sorry if you tried to call.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Found the adb folder in C drive. When I open the adb application in the folder, another dialogue box flashes by but doesn't stop or open. Has the original ms-dos format as it flashes by.

Try and right click on the file and open as administrator. There is no reason the program shouldn't run. I just reinstalled it on my PC with the same file and it works.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Same reaction. Tried twice again to run as administrator which is me, and again the dialogue box zips through a half dozen screens of dos format and disappears. I will reinstall the mega again for the third time. Am at a loss.

I am also at a loss as to why it would not run. I really hate to say it, but right now we might be best off letting the battery die, then charging it and rebooting into Safe Mode. I am of course willing to continue working with you however you want to move forward.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
agree to end. will let battery drain. thanks anyway. if it doesn't start in safe mode, do I contact you again?

Yes, even if it does start in Safe Mode, let me know, as we need to clear some data/cache so hopefully then it will reboot in normal mode!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all right. could be sunday or Monday depending on drain time. will talk later.

That's fine! I am here every day (except during Dolphins or Hurricanes games haha!)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
dolphins! broncos here. have a good rest of the weekend.

You as well! Reply to me here once you are charging it, to give me time to be ready to help you as it will take only about 60 minutes to fully recharge it. Just make sure you don't touch the power button and restart it normally when it is charged.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will do.

Great. Talk to you soon.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Eric, the phone depleted the battery Tuesday evening. I charged it overnight, Wednesday morning. At 500 AM today I turned the phone on. The Edge started as usual with the full screen displayed. The screen appeared to dim slightly and switched to my home screen. I saw the quantity of texts unread and all looked good. The screen dimmed slightly again and went black. Phone will not reset, LED blue light flashes as normal when email received. All is now identical to when we talked last week. I am going to try the ADB again. Will let you know the outcome in several minutes.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
ADB from your Mega site loaded and found the phone however it would not load in safe mode.. Thanks for helping however I need to move ahead and contact the insurance company for a replacement. All my data remains on the phone so I hope to still be able to transfer the dada to a new phone. Was a good try but I just couldn't get past the black screen. thanks again. barry

No problem. When you get the replacement, let me know so I can try and help to see if we can transfer the data.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I will contact you again. I screwed up and didn't follow your DO NOT turn on normally after the battery has been drained and fully recharged. Yep, I turned it on normally as described above. It takes at least 3 days to drain and recharge so I gave up.

Yeah, when I read your reply, I kinda figured you turned it on... Definitely didn't want to do that :)