Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

I have a Samsung galaxy s8plus and am not receiving text

messages. I can send texts...
I have a Samsung galaxy s8plus and am not receiving text messages. I can send texts and people can reply to that but not getting any that are initiated by them
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Verizon is the carrier but they are making it out that's it a android issue and not a Verizon issue
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Been going on for at least a week. I've tried restarting phone, clearing stuff nothing works. Even the stock messaging through the phone isn't getting the texts from people so it's not a 3rd party app problem
JA: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Some texts I will get initiated by others but random. Ever since the software update of galaxy s8plus messaging has not worked properly in my opinion.
9/21/2017
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Have you tried a factory reset?

no I have not, don't want to lose all my stuff

To determine if it is a software issue with the phone or an issue with your cell provider, you will need to perform a factory reset.

I will lose everything, contacts, photos etc?

You can back it up first.

Take a look here: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34239

Some others have had same issue as me with texting even after doing factory reset. Will do it if I have to but not sure that's the problem.

Please perform the factory reset and let me know if it continues

upgrading my cloud to be able to back all my stuff up
It's slowly backing stuff up to the cloud. Will be a minute.

Take your time

Not seeing how to back up my apps. Those instructions for apps didn't work. I got everything else backed up

Please try the app steps again

I have. Isn't a choice. I have Verizon not T mobile and there is no place following those instructions that says back up and restore in my cloud.
Under what to back up, apps is not a choice. It has: contacts, photos, videos, music, documents, messages and call history, no apps.

Correct -- The word "Apps" is not an option.

Please follow the steps carefully.

4.Tap Backup & restore.
5.Tap Back up my data and move the slider to ON to back up any account data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers.
6.Tap Automatic restore and move the slider to ON to restore backed up settings and data when re-installing applicationsThis does not show up for me, any of these steps when I'm in the cloud following these instructions.

Do you see Settings then Backup and Reset?

There is a toggle for Back up my data switch

under back up and reset has no attachment to cloud like the instructions above said. I have no cloud and accounts but I do have a back up and reset.
It looks like doing a factory reset it will erase downloaded apps according to description. Ok, so going to do factory reset.

Okay, let me know how it goes.

reset now just trying to remember my google password
Now it's restoring
Ok so am in. Now what

Do you still have the issue?

Text messages are loading. Looks like I'm getting ones I've never seen so looks like it might be fixed. Any idea on why this happened?

I am not sure why it happened since I was not able to see the issue originally but I am glad to hear it is fixed!

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit

Josh, Technician
Ok thank you!
Josh, Technician