Josh, Technician
Experience:  Android technician
50836188

I have a Samsung galaxy s8plus and am not receiving text

I have a Samsung galaxy s8plus and am not receiving text messages. I can send texts and people can reply to that but not getting any that are initiated by them
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Verizon is the carrier but they are making it out that's it a android issue and not a Verizon issue
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Been going on for at least a week. I've tried restarting phone, clearing stuff nothing works. Even the stock messaging through the phone isn't getting the texts from people so it's not a 3rd party app problem
JA: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Some texts I will get initiated by others but random. Ever since the software update of galaxy s8plus messaging has not worked properly in my opinion.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Have you tried a factory reset?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no I have not, don't want to lose all my stuff

To determine if it is a software issue with the phone or an issue with your cell provider, you will need to perform a factory reset.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will lose everything, contacts, photos etc?

You can back it up first.

Take a look here: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34239

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Some others have had same issue as me with texting even after doing factory reset. Will do it if I have to but not sure that's the problem.

Please perform the factory reset and let me know if it continues

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
upgrading my cloud to be able to back all my stuff up
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's slowly backing stuff up to the cloud. Will be a minute.

Take your time

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not seeing how to back up my apps. Those instructions for apps didn't work. I got everything else backed up

Please try the app steps again

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have. Isn't a choice. I have Verizon not T mobile and there is no place following those instructions that says back up and restore in my cloud.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Under what to back up, apps is not a choice. It has: contacts, photos, videos, music, documents, messages and call history, no apps.

Correct -- The word "Apps" is not an option.

Please follow the steps carefully.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4.Tap Backup & restore.
5.Tap Back up my data and move the slider to ON to back up any account data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers.
6.Tap Automatic restore and move the slider to ON to restore backed up settings and data when re-installing applicationsThis does not show up for me, any of these steps when I'm in the cloud following these instructions.

Do you see Settings then Backup and Reset?

There is a toggle for Back up my data switch

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
under back up and reset has no attachment to cloud like the instructions above said. I have no cloud and accounts but I do have a back up and reset.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks like doing a factory reset it will erase downloaded apps according to description. Ok, so going to do factory reset.

Okay, let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
reset now just trying to remember my google password
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now it's restoring
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so am in. Now what

Do you still have the issue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Text messages are loading. Looks like I'm getting ones I've never seen so looks like it might be fixed. Any idea on why this happened?

I am not sure why it happened since I was not able to see the issue originally but I am glad to hear it is fixed!

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you!