Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

I had my contacts on Samsung 5 transferred over to Samsung 8…

Customer Question
Hi I had my contacts...
Hi I had my contacts on Samsung 5 transferred over to Samsung 8 by Verizon (I've since switch to ATT). Anyway some contacts that were there I though were gone. But then I go to 'create contact' and type in the name and his 'update contact' and it appears. But if I hit 'save' it doesn't show in my regular contact list like it used to. Any ideas? Very very annoying...thanks!
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Android Devices
9/21/2017
Android Device Expert: Answers by Eric, Developer replied 9 months ago
Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer

Hey there! my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I will do all I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions as quickly as possible. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• The offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept a request for one if you wish, but you do not have to.
  • Please keep this browser open, so that we do not lose contact. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will continue helping you until your question is 100% answered, please ask as many follow up questions as you want to.

This is actually quite common, as when they transfer contacts they never seem to do it properly... Which app are you using to view your contacts? Also, if you go to http://contacts.google.com do you see those "missing" contacts there?

It's empty under 'contacts'...!
Android Device Expert: Answers by Eric, Developer replied 8 months ago

Sorry, you replied back last night at a point I was already offline. To clarify your response, it is empty on the contacts.google.com site? Are you sure you are signed in with the same account that is signed in on your phone?

not sure of anything but it said my name like 'welcome Steve'

Do you know how to check what google account is on your phone?

No, sorry. Do you know?

Sorry, you replied last night when I was already offline. Give me just a moment and I will type out the instructions. Then, make sure you check that specific account at http://contacts.google.com

1. Swipe down from the top of the screen to open the notification drawer
  2. Tap the gear(settings) icon at the top
  3. Scroll down and tap on Cloud and Accounts
  4. Tap on Accounts
  5. Tap on Google
  6. Now at the top it will tell you your Google account.
ok i found it

Is that the same Google account you logged in with on your PC? If not, log in with that account and then go to contacts.google.com

Make sure when the page loads, that it is the same Google account by hovering over your profile image in the top right.

Ok, that means the contacts were not backed up to your Google account (which is actually where you want them to back up). Would you mind running a remote session with me on your phone? TeamViewer and Samsung put out an app for remote support. You can download it on the Play Store, and then I can remote into your phone the same way I would onto your PC to troubleshoot. I should be able to locate where the contacts are stored, and also get them to back up to your Google account.

downloading now
how certain are you that you can find the contacts?

I won't be sure until I get in there, but if there is any chance at all, I can find them. Secondly, I am out of my house/office right now, I won't be back for an hour or two, can we schedule this for this evening, or a time of your choice after?

sure i'll be at the gym so I'll try to touch base prob. in 3-4 hours or so. If we don't connect we can another time. Thanks for your responses!

No problem! We will get this sorted out for you ASAP.

you're awesome thanks. I have some contacts so something must have been back up somewhere?...I don't get it..ok, talk to you later!

It's honestly, just about seeing where they are, and what the apps are looking at as far as locations. If they "magically" show up sometimes, then they are definitely there, it is just a matter of getting them where they should be and then helping you get them backed up like they should be.

cool

No need to reply to this.

After I post the new set of instructions, if you have ANY issues with it.. let me know. In the meantime, uninstall or reset Tbird so it has no accounts and no data.

From our interactions, I can see you are not a tech-inept person, so I do not need to overly simplify my instructions. I am about to type out a few steps without going into much detail, if you have ANY issues with them, let me know.

1. Go create a new and after this useless Gmail/Google account... you won't ever use it again.
  2. Now, in your OLD TBird installation, add that Gmail account
  3. Under the Gmail account, add the same titled folders of the folders you want to move.
  4. "Highlight all" in each folder in your Tbird account, and drag and drop them into the corresponding folder in the new Gmail account.... basically, we're copying all your old email folders into the new Gmail account.
  5. Once you have all that done...
  6. In your new Tbird installation, add the same Gmail account
  7. Now, drag and drop each folder from the Gmail account, into the TBird account..,
  8. This will copy all the messages over. You can do the same with Contacts folders.

Please take two seconds to rate my service before you leave today at the top of this page. Remember it is my service you are rating and nothing else. If you feel my service has been anything but excellent, or you have follow up questions, please let me know before rating :)

Bookmark this link to ask me questions directly in the future: http://bit.ly/AnswersByEric

My apologies, these were in response to a different question..

i'm home now..there's no way I could follow those instructions, ha.
I have the app installed on the phone. I can tip you the $20 or whatever if you fix it.
Deal? How long might it take?

I'm not working right now, what time do you want to do it tomorrow, EST?

tomorrow's a full day...how much time might you need if things go at a so-so pace..i..e not perfect, not horrible
could prob. do 930 EST

Any time you are ready today, just let me know.

i'm around now if you're around

You always seem to reply back right after I have finished for the day :)

It is 7:21AM EST. I will be online to work at 8AM, and I am free up until around 4PM.

Hi Eric...I've been traveling but I'm interested in getting my contacts taken care of...calls come in and the 1 isn't recognized and the calls say they're from Belgium and Indonesia..that's one problem..the other is as we've been discussing...contacts are hidden until I do 'create contact'...i have TeamViewer installed on my Samsung 8...I'd be available tomorrow sometime after 8 am PST..thanks

Alright, no problem! If you don't mind going ahead and rating the service I previously provided to you(top of the page), we can go ahead and set it up for tomorrow. I have an appointment with a client at 8AM your time(11AM mine), but I can do it around 9:30-10AM your time if you like?