Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

Well, I am quite frustrated. My phone got a virus a few days…

Customer Question
Hi there. Well...

Hi there. Well, I am quite frustrated. My phone got a virus a few days ago, at least that is what the Samsung rep said. So they did a factory reset on my phone. Since then, when I turn the phone on, it asks for my google account information, but when I enter it is says that there is an "unknown error", I know it is the right info because I can sign in with no problems on my computer. They said that it was no longer a Samsung issue, but a Google issue. : / I haven't been able to find anybody to help me, and I can't just go to a store, because we are in remote Alaska. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Samsung? And what operating system are you running?

Samsung Galaxy S7, not sure what you mean by operating system....

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No. I can't even get into my phone since the factory reset. Can't get past the beginning Google verification. I saw on many forums that people run into this problem, but I couldn't find an answer. Many say to wait 24 hours and try again, but this didn't work. The weird thing is, when I log into my Gmail account, and look at my devices, it says that it was just synced with my phone every time I attempt to log in on my phone, but am never able to get in.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

My name is Brandie. : )

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Android Devices
9/18/2017
Android Device Expert: Josh, Technician replied 9 months ago
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Hi Brandie,

I would suggest another factory reset and try to sync the account after the reset again.

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up and Home buttons.
  3. While continuing to hold volume up and home, press and hold the Power button until RECOVERY BOOTING appears in the upper-left then release all buttons.
  4. From the Android Recovery screen, select Wipe data/factory reset.
    Utilize the volume buttons to cycle through the available options and the power button to select.
  5. Select Yes.
    Allow several seconds for the factory data reset to complete.
  6. Select Reboot system now.
It won't let me view your answer until I hit "start my free trial", but I just paid $47.00 to get this answer!

Hi Brandie,

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
  5. Select Yes.
  6. Select Reboot system now.
It is rebooting now.....

Let me know how it goes

Now it is saying that my wifi password ***** ***** and I know it is not. Before this second reset, it would at least let me connect to wifi. : /

Very strange.

Try to restart your phone by holding down the power button for 20 seconds then try to connect to Wi-Fi

Okay. I got the Wifi to connect, but am back to the same place I started. It keeps saying "unknown error" when I try to login, ad to "try waiting 24 hours", which I have already done, twice. : /

Have you waited a full 24 hours without trying once?

That is what I found on a forum, so I tried waiting over 24 hours without an attempt.

This is a "common" issue that can happen and there really isn't a fix for it other than waiting to see if the error is removed.

Usually, you can have the phone replaced by your carrier but since you are in a remote area, I can understand that is not the most feasible offer. Have you tried to speak with them and ask for a phone overnight since it was their error that caused this mess?

Samsung is now telling me that it is a "Google issue"

Did you speak with your cell phone carrier?

No I haven't. It is GCI.

Samsung rep should have never had you perform a factory reset -- The phone likely never had a "virus" and it was a different issue.

Depending on your plan, your cell phone carrier can offer you an upgrade or replacement.

Well, I appreciate your help. I will try to get a hold of my carrier.

You're welcome! I apologize that this is happening to you and that you should have never had to go through this process because of the wrong information by the Samsung rep.

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Josh, Technician