Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

I just bought a dual SIM Motorola z2 play phone. I inserted…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a dual SIM Motorola z2 play phone. I inserted two sim cards but it only recognizes sim one and says sim slot two is empty even though there is a sim card inserted. What do I do to activate the second sim?

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

Brand New! Bought it on Wednesday

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Since I bought it. I have reset the phone to factory settings, earse all data and set up again as new phone. Still same problem

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing else, many thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Android Devices
9/17/2017
Android Device Expert: ITPeter, Engineer replied 8 months ago
ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Is the SIM card inserted correctly and the correct way around?

Is the SIM recognized and working in a different phone?

The phone is "dual SIM standby" which means that in standby either number can receive a phone call.

However you cannot do mobile data and voice at the same time. You can prioritize the phone for voice or data.

If you prioritize data and you are surfing the net and you receive a call the call will go to voicemail. If you have it prioritized to voice then the call will ring through and the data will stop.

You should be able to do WiFi and Voice simultaneously.

You can only have Data active on one SIM at a time.

Hope that helps!
Pete.

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Hello Pete,Yes the SIM cards are inserted correctly and work in other phones. In fact if I change the sim in slot 2 to slot 1, it works and the one that was working on slot 1 previously is not recognized in slot 2..There is even no way to prioritize as the sim in slot two is not recognized at all. It shows "slot empty" even though there is a sim that works. I do not have the sim available for priotization at all.What do I need to do so the sim in slot 2 is recognized and available for priotization? I understand I cannot do both data and voice simultaneously.Thank you,
Wale

Hi Wale,

Motorola's dual-standby, not dual-active, may be confusing if you want to use two SIM cards simultaneously .

If you want to make both SIM cards available at all times in dual SIM Motorola you will need to set up call forwarding.

All the settings can be accessed through SettingsDual SIM settings.

You can choose icon colors for each SIM card, choose the SIM card used for mobile data.

Ok, then the SIM card in Slot 2 is not being detected.

What happens if you swap the two SIM cards around? Is slot 2 still grayed out?

Hello Peter,If I swap the SIM cards, then the sim previously in slot 2 becomes active in slot 1 and the previously active sim in slot 1 is not detected when placed in slot 2.Regards,
Wale

Hi Wale,

In that case there is a problem with one of the SIM cards - it has not been activated and will not work.

You will need to activate it with the carrier first before it becomes available.

Hi Peter,Do you mean the slot or SIM card? Both SIM cards work perfectly when used in different phones or placed in slot 1 of the Motorola phone. They are not new SIM cards, I have been using both for years now in two different phones. I bought this phone so I do not need to carry two phones. Definitely the problem cannot be with the SIM cards.Regards,
Wale

Hi Wale,

Sorry I misunderstood - in that case, the problem is with slot 2 - it is not reading the SIM card.

If you are certain that the SIM card is being inserted the correct way around, then the card slot has a fault.

ITPeter
ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer