Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Second opinion] Haven't used my Kindle in a while. When I

Customer Question

Second opinion] Haven't used my Kindle in a while. When I went to gmail and tried to send a message, there was an indication that "Authentication failed. (Gmail) What to do?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Kindle Fire HD 7
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have not used the Kindle in several months but want to take it with me on a trip. Have tried to e-mail, but not sure what troubleshooting I should be doing
JA: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If the Kindle hasn't been updated, or hasn't been onine, for a while, then its software might have become outdated, perhaps. Updating, and/or leaving it online, connected to WiFi, for a while, might cure that.

Also: check the date and time settings. Wrong date settings can make the internet think that you are not authorized, for rather abstruse reasons... correcting the date setting might get the logging in to GMail working again.

If the above doesn't get it working, then also check your password, as to whether your GMail is actually still logged in, and also, as a last thing to try, log out of GMail, then close the browser or email app, wait a few minutes, then open the browser or email app and log in again, then try to send email... that might clear up whatever is wrong.

If the above doesn't get it working and the error is persistent through all those efforts, please tell me more - by Reply To Expert - about whether you are using a web browser app (e.g. Silk) or an email app (e.g. Outlook) and I will advise you further toward a solution.