Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I have a iphone 7 plus but want to switch to Samsung S8.

Customer Question

I have a iphone 7 plus but want to switch to Samsung S8. Please give me easy step by step instruction how to back up all my contact, Calendar, note, photos in google drive could and then restore on Samsung S8.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, can I get the instruction now?

Good afternoon. I can help you now.

Not all of our personal data can be transferred the same way. I am working on methods to accomplish the job.

I thought we were going to have to handle contacts and calendars separately from each other and from photos, but Voila,e are in luck! I have found a third-party application that can accomplish the task all at once for your contacts, calendar, phone logs, SMS messages, photos, and music. (The only data type that will require special consideration is Note.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I said I want to back up in google drive in their cloud and then restore to my new samsung S8. if you don't have the answer, please turn it over to other experts. I've waited days and still not getting the answer.

You cannot backup and restore calendars and contacts that way. Google Drive is a cloud based data service for storing files. Calendar and contact data are not stored in files. They are integral parts of the Android and IOS operating systems.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I called ATT, they told me I can back up calendars, note, contacts, photos and all in google cloud the restore with Samsung phone.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my service provider is ATT and I talked to several different tech support reps and they all told me to use google cloud

Google contacts and calendars can be synced with online google accounts; however, most users do not have Google contact and calendar data entries on their smartphones. Instead, they have device contacts and calendars, and it is difficult to convert from device data to Google date. Calendar entries must be moved one at a time from the device calendar to a Google calendar. Contacts cannot be moved at all. To convert contacts from device contacts to Google contacts requires a third-party syncing app, such as Lookout Mobile security.

wHOEVER TOLD YOU THAT DOES NOT REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. THE GOOGLE CLOUD PLATFORM IS A BUSINESS ORIENTED SERVICE THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE TO PERSONAL USERS EXCEPT ON A SUBSCRIPTION BASIS. YOU CANNOT USE GOOGLE CLOUD SERVICES TO TRANSFER PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM AN IPHONE TO AN ANDROID SMARTPHONE.

THE THIRD-PARTY APP THAT I HAVE FOUND FOR YOU IS THE EASIEST WAY TO TRANSFER ALL YOUR DATA AT ONCE FROM YOUR IPHONE TO YOUR GALAXY S8. HOWEVER, IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE IT, YOU CAN USE APPLE'S ICLOUD.

THE THIRD-PARTY APP THAT I HAVE FOUND FOR YOU IS THE EASIEST WAY TO TRANSFER ALL YOUR DATA AT ONCE FROM YOUR IPHONE 7 TO YOUR GALAXY S8. HOWEVER, IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE IT, YOU CAN USE APPLE'S ICLOUD.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how can you use apple's icloud to transfer data from iphone to samsung??
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ATT also told me I can use mobile transfer the ATT app. what's the app that you found and can you also transfer photos?

The app I have found is called Gihosoft. I am sending you the link to their main website where they display all of their data recovery products as well as the Mobile Phone Transfer software:

http://www.gihosoft.com/

You can copy that link into your browser. I am also sending the link to the Mobile Phone Transfer web page, but the one that I got is for downloading the Windows version. I didn't find out whether you have a pc or a mac. Here is the link:

https://www.gihosoft.com/mobile-phone-transfer.html

If you go to the main home page (the first link) and wait for the display to scroll to the Mobile Transfer information, you may be able to download a Mac version of the software from there.

It may be true that you can use AT&T Mobile Transfer. I hadn't considered that because I have never used it on an iphone to android transfer, but since AT&T has a healthy business supporting both Apple and Android, their Mobile Transfer app probably does work with both operating systems.

AT&T Mobile Transfer will transfer contacts, call logs, messages, and media.

Ghiosoft Phone Transfer can transfer contacts, SMS messages, call logs, calendar, photos, videos, and music.

I misspelled Gihosoft above. By comparison, Gihosoft will transfer calendars and AT&T will not.

You can download and install Gihosoft on a free trial basis. At some point, you may have to purchase the software, which has been marked down from $59 to $19.95.

Gihosoft's handling of calendar data is a big deal, for two reasons:

(1) To use Google's Gmail calendar sync you have to transfer each calendar event from an Apple calendar entry to a Google calendar. This has to be done one at a time, manually, for each and every calendar event.

(2) To use Apple's iCloud calendar sync, you may need a Mac computer. The web version of iCloud, icloud.com does not include calendars. I am downloading and installing iCloud for Windows on my pc now. I will get back to you on that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay, I will try this app and let you know if works.

Is your computer a pc or a mac? What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pc, 7

Windows 7 PC. Roger that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this Ghost doesn't transfer notes? If so, how do you transfer notes?

Well, I am not exactly sure. If your Notes are stored in a file, we can use Google Drive. I don't have an iPhone, so I can only describe things in general terms. If you can find your File Manager, you can look for Notes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I connteced both phones to PC and started Gihosoft mobile transfer but it's not recognizing my phones. it should show both phones' description on the screen but not showing.

Haven't you already done that to transfer your contacts, calendars, photos, and music?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just tried but it doesn't recognize both phones. What should I do to make it recognize them?

For the Samsung Galaxy S8, you have to activate Developer Options and enable USB Debugging. For the iPhone 7, you also have to get the phone into USB Mode. Then, after connecting the smartphones to your computer, you have to select Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) mode. I can explain more about this tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please explain more about this.

These are the instructions for the Galaxy S8:

(1) Go to Settings > About Device and tap eight (8) times on Build Number. This will activate Developer Options on your smartphone.

(2) Gp to Settings > Developer Options and scroll to USB Debugging and turn on the slide switch. This will allow your phone to be recognized by your computer and by the Gihosoft app.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do you make the iphone to USB mode?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
S8's developer's mode is turned on but still not recognizing on Gihosoft??

Have you enabled USB Debugging? The whole point of activating Developer Mode is to go into it and enable USB Debugging so that your Android device will be recognized as a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device on a USB cable connected to your Windows computer.

I am still working on the USB Mode for MTP on the iPhone.

I have found an app called i2usb that you can download onto your Windows computer that will allow it to recognize an iphone. You can purchase a single-user license for $19.99. I haven't tried it, because I don't have an iphone, and I don't know if it will work or not. Here is the link: https://www.appteak.com/product/i2usb#store.

You can download a free single-user license for what they call a minor version of the i2usb software which you can use for the 1 year. I have downloaded it myself, but I do not have access to an iphone at the present time. I got the free download by logging in to the website that I sent you in my last message with my Google account. You should try it. Here is the link again: https://www.appteak.com/product/i2usb#store

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
why there is one year free version and one year paid version, any difference? I installed the free version and not sure if it's working or not. still not recognized by the gihosft. turned the debugging switch on also. when I plug in samsung phone, windows media pops up and samsung phone gets connected to that. Please advise how to check if both phones now changed to USB mode

The publishers of the app want you to purchase the paid version of the software, so they give you the free version with enough capability to begin with and more professional features later. I just got Gihosoft myself, and I do not need to know the difference.

Look for both phones using Windows Explorer. They should show up as usb mass storage devices there, and you will be able to see all the internal files on both smartphones in your Windows File Explorer. On your Galaxy S8, you can swipe down from the top of the screen, and you should see a notification that your phone is running the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), as opposed to the Camera Transfer Protocol (CTP).

Okay, I've got some new information. First, let me correct a mistake in my last message: Camera Transfer Protocol is represented by the initials for Photo Transfer Protocol (PTP), not that it matters, because it is outdated now. It appeared on my Galaxy S4 but not on my Galaxy S7.

I opened the Gihosoft Mobile Transfer application on my Window 10 computer and got both of my smartphones to connect to it by enabling USB Debugging. Then, when I tried to transfer contacts, calendars, SMS, and phone logs, I was informed that I could only transfer 30 contacts with the trial version. So there is your answer: To do more, you must purchase the full version. That should not be a problem for you after what you have already invested in your iPhone 7 and your GAlaxy S8 smartphones.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I got it working. It wasn't easy though. I had to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the phones after enabling usb debugging to get the Gihosoft application to recognize them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i see both phones on windows explore but still Gihosoft doesn't recognize neither phones.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please advise what to do. is this the only softwear that you can transfer all the data from iphone to S8?

The software is the best. You just have to work with it. Work with the Galaxy S8 first. I have verified that it works. I explained above that i is tricky. You have to disconnect it and reconnect it until it is recognized. You can also ty to turn usb debugging off and on while it is connected. Keep trying. It works! The i2usb software is the one that has the minor license that is free for a year., not the Gihosoft. You must have gotten that working because your iphone 7 is visible in Windows Explorer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was able to see both phones on windows explore even before turn on debugging switch. And for the Iphone, i'm still waiting for the instruction how to make it usb mode.

You don't have to do anything to the iPhone itself. What you did on the Android phone caused it to upload an Android-to-usb usb driver onto your computer. The i2usb application that you downloaded from the internet to your computer put an iPhone-to-usb driver onto your computer directly. That took care of the iPhone.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
then how come it won't recognize my iphone?

My understanding of the status that you are at right now is that Windows Explorer will recognize both your iPhone and your Android phone and the Mobile Transfer program will not recognize either smartphone. YOu just need to keep trying to disconnect and reconnect each smartphone until they are both recognized. I recommend that you work on the Android smartphone first since I have verified that it works. The iPhone should work too, but I have not verified it, since I do not have an iPhone.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried three different computers and now detect iphone 7 but still not detecting S7. I watched YouTube instruction, it said to turn on debugging but doesn't say to turn on developer mode which u told me to tab 8 times on biulder no. Maybe I should turn off the developer mode and try? Can u tell me how to turn it off?

That's great that you got the iPhone to be detected! I can help with the S8. (Or is it an S7?) You cannot turn off Developer Mode. That would be like putting the toothpaste back into the tube. But you can turn off and on the USB Debugging, which appears in the Developer Mode menu. YBefore activating Developer Mode, you did not have that menu. No worries. It doesn't make any difference in normal usage.

To get the Gihosoft computer application to recognize your S*, it helps to turn the USB Debugging off and on repeatedly while it is connected to the computer with the USB cable.

IT HELPS, EVEN MORE, TO REBOOT THE S8 WITH THR USB ENABLED AND THEN CONNECT THE USB CABLE TO THE COMPUTER. I JUST TRIED IT WITH MY S7, AND IT RECOGNIZED IT IMMEDIATELY. YOU CAN DO IT! I KNOW YOU CAN.

JUST RESTART YOUR SMARTPhONE. IT REALLY WORKS AMAZINGLY EASY AFTER THAT. IT CONNECTED UST AS SOON AS I TURNED ON USB DEBUGGING, OR JUST AS SOON AS I CONNECT THE SMARTPHONE WITH USB DEBUGGING TURNED ON.

I JUST NOTICED THAT I HAVE BEEN MISSPELLING THE NAME OF THE SOFTWARE. IT IS JIHOSOFT 9NOT GIHOSOFT).

IT IS JIHOSOFT (NOT GIHOSOFT).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
now I was able to connect both iPhone 7+ and S8. I purchased the software and tried. I put check mark on calendar and all others but when I click the Start Copy button, the calendar option gets removed. Does this mean this softwear can't transfer calendar from IPhone to S8?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did a lot of research and found out that you could just easily transfer using S8's smart switch feature, connecting iphone to S8 directly using adopter that came with S8 and transfer all data including Calendar and Note. The above softwear is terrible that it was super hard to get it recognize my two phones which tool all day tring many different computer with different OS. Worked with Windows 10 but still calendar and note couldn't transfer. I already purhcase the software, how do I get a refund? it says 30day money back but hard to find the way to refund. please help me on this.

Thank you for letting me know about the problem that you had with Gihosoft not transferring your Calendar from your iPhone 7 to your Galaxy S8 as well as all the inconvenience that you had getting the app to recognize your smartphones. I will certainly do everything I can to get you a refund since the Calendar transfer was the main reason that I recommended Gihosoft to you.

I had not considered Samsung Smart Switch, and I certainly should have done that. I am going to try it myself. I see that it works by connecting smartphone-to-smartphone, bypassing the computer and all the connection problems entirely.

There is a Contact Us link on the www.gihosoft.com website. It reveals an email address and an international telephone number to their Branch Office in Shenzen, China. It is too bad that they do not have a toll-free phone number in this country. I sent them an email message requesting a refund for you. If you send me your full name and email address, I will forward it to them when I get a response. I will forward my message to you when I get your email address. Our Customer Service department has it, but I am in Technical Support, and I do not.

I apologize for the inconvenience. I know that this has been a lot of trouble for you.