Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

My Asus tablet has not been charging for a couple of days

Customer Question

Hi, my Asus tablet has not been charging for a couple of days now.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It's an Asus K010 and it's about 2 and a half years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: A few days now. It won't turn on so I haven't been able to do anything. It won't charge at all.
JA: Anything else you want the Android expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I plug it in, the screen shows the red empty battery icon to indicate the battery is empty but it doesn't charge up even when I leave it for hours
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi that's great thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know why it won't charge

Thank you for your description of the problem. I apologize for the delay in my response. I was researching your problem, and i got involved with watching a You tube video on repairing tablet. The symptoms seem to indicate that the problem is with your charger, This is fortunate because the battery is not easily replaceable.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hope that's true, my current charger works on my phone but not my tablet. I will see if one of my house mates has one I can try.

I recommend that you substitute any other usb charger that you may have from another Android device. However, if you are using a charger that is known to be good because it works on your phone, there is another possibility.

Lithium ion rechargeable batteries do not like to have a deep discharge. When an LI battery gets into that state, it creates a barrier to a full charging current. This barrier can be overcome by a trickle charge. Luckily, most modern computers have multiple usb ports and will have at least one usb charging port that supplies a trickle current that is used to supply power to usb flash memory devices, also known as memory sticks or thumb drives.

You will need a detachable micro usb cable, of the type that comes with most usb chargers, that has been tested and is known to be good. If your tablet does not begin to charge immediately when connected to a usb charger, use that cable to connect your tablet directly to a usb charging port on your desktop or laptop computer. A usb charging port is any usb port that supports a flash drive.

You will need to leave the tablet connected for a few hours until the trickle charge overcomes the charging barrier. Then you can connect it to a regular 1 amp or 2 amp charger. A trickle charge is typically around 100 mA.

If you have any questions or have problems with this advice, please let me know so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. My goal is to provide you with the best possible customer service. If you are satisfied with my advice, please take a moment to rate my services.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** leave it charging over night and see how it works.

Very good. Please get back to me with the results tomorrow. Have a good night!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, no luck unfortunately, still not charging.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's still not working after being plugged in all of last night

Did you have it connected to a usb charging port with both the charging port and the usb cable independently verified as I described in my instructions?

If you had your tablet connected to a usb charging port on a computer, with both the charging port and the usb cable independently verified as described in my instructions, and if your tablet did not take any charge, then the battery must be worn out. At this point, you have two options: (1) You can take the tablet to a repair shop and ask to have the battery replaced, or (2) You can replace the tablet with a newer model.

If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING.