p0llinate
p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Android phone and tablet expert
59725966

I have a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. It will not charge, and it

Customer Question

I have a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. It will not charge, and it shuts down the USB port when I plug it in to charge it. Also, it will not power off. Am I totally out of luck, or can it be repaired?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is a little over 3 years old. It is a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I noticed this morning that it had not charged even though it was plugged in over night. Also, the little lightning-bolt icon on the battery icon does not come on. I tried plugging it into a different USB charger. Also tried plugging it into my PC USB port. When I do that the USB mouse on the PC disappears. A short in the FIre?
JA: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The power off button does not respond, so I cannot shut down to reboot the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.