Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

My kindle fire hd (2012) is stuck on the start up screen. I

Customer Question

My kindle fire hd (2012) is stuck on the start up screen. I have tried holding down the power button for 20 seconds and then restarting to no avail... anything else I can try??
JA: When did you last charge your Kindle Fire?
Customer: It is fully charged at the moment. I let it go completey dead, then recharged it yesterday...
JA: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?
Customer: for 30 seconds... will holding for a minute work better? I will try that right now...
JA: Anything else you want the e-reader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: think that is everything,,
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you / can you please try below:

• press and hold (or depending on the version, slide and hold) the POWER button for a full 40 seconds or more;
  • even after the screen went blank;
  • then release the POWER button;
  • press or slide the POWER button to restart if the Kindle does not re-start on its own;
  • should the screen be still be unresponsive, then plug in Kindle using the USB cord or the A/C power adapter that came with it;
  • recommend charging the Kindle with an Amazon power adapter;
  • allow the Kindle to charge for 30 minutes, unplug it, and then try to restart again.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have done all that. I found that info online for free already...
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hence the "...have you...try..." since none of these were indicated as to have been tried even before the question was posted.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh, I told the lady who origninally took my question and she said she would pass that along. Sorry she did not
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Thanks.

And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than the above?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have done all that you have stated. The only thing that I did that you do not have on your list was to let it completely run out of power... left it on until there was no charge left and then recharged it and began again. I actually did everything you listed, in the exact order that you listed.. when that didn't work, that was when I left it on until the charge ran out and started over...
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do feel a bit of hostility here...
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Have you considered / tried performing a software update of the Kindle? ...manually with the use of a computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did not know that was possible. How do I do that?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Please click HERE.

Scroll down to "Transfer & Install the Latest Software Update Manually". Play the video tutorial.
Scroll a bit further down. Select your Kindle's model/version and then click on the "...Kindle...Software Updates..." for your model/version.
A new page would open with instructions on how to manually download and install the latest software update available for your Kindle.
Thereafter, it may require several re-booting/restarting.

This would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.