Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

My phone Galaxy S4 has been in the water. I dried it out and

Customer Question
the sound doesn't work....
My phone Galaxy S4 has been in the water. I dried it out and the sound doesn't work. Everything else works perfectly. Can I replace a speaker?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 3 years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I got everything dried out but the sound.
JA: Anything else you want the Android expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it possible to replace a speaker card or whatever makes the phone give sound?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Android Devices
7/13/2017
Android Device Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How long did you dry it out? is the first thing I would consider about this case.

But as to replacing a speaker: yes, that can be done, but you need to consider and find out whether the sound circuitry in the Samsung device is in working order first. Have you tried a earphone or headset on the device? that would test whether 1. sound settings are not muting the sound output, and 2. whether sound circuitry etc. is basically working to a large extent.

What is the answer?

Replacing a speaker? yes, that can be done, but you need to consider and find out whether the sound circuitry in the Samsung device is in working order first. Have you tried a earphone or headset on the device? that would test whether 1. sound settings are not muting the sound output, and 2. whether sound circuitry etc. is basically working to a large extent.

Sounds work onhe
Sounds work on head phone and blue tooth speaker

Good. That means you would not have to have the circuitry replaced, just the speaker. The question is: how long have you dried out the phone?

Weeks
I've ordered the part and hopefully that will take care of the problem.
I can't rate you until I make sure that the speaker works.

That's OK - I had not enabled the rating interface, anyway. So, let's see how it works out - will it be several days? or a week? you may return to this conversation at any time by going to

http://www.justanswer.com/android-devices/ajnsc-phone-galaxy-s4-water-dried.html

It should be only a couple days, but then I'm gone for 5 days on vacation. If it comes before I go, will let you know the progress.
Thank you so much.

All right! have a good day meanwhile.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated!

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)

Thanks.

Received the new speaker and installed it. it did not correct the sound. Back to square one a phone without sound!

Very well. I think the speaker is not the problem then.

Other things may be wrong. Circuitry feeding the speaker. The speaker connector might be corroded with dampness - try re-seating the speaker connector, if you can do that over again without impatience, and it might just help, perhaps.

Otherwise, replacing the card that the speaker connector plugs into would be the next step. And that might be more expensive (as well as more work) than replacing the phone. Let's proceed (after trying the above recommendation about carefully re-seating the speaker connector securely) as you prefer.

I will not be home until Saturday. Didn't bring tools with me to try suggestion.

OK. There is plenty of time and no hurry (on my part.)

Russell H., Service Tech